Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission failure on an 08

Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
You guys aren't making me feel good about my 07 auto with 65k. Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
get a tranny cooler and transmission guage ASAP. Those two items could of possibly saved me thousands. $3400 with 3yr/100,000 mile warranty is what's it costing me in a rebuilt better than factory tranny
Old 12-10-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep is in the shop too with a transmission leak, they thought it was a rear main seal and when they removed the trans they seen it was coming from the seal around the torque converter, they went to remove the torque converter but it was stuck on the shaft. They quoted me a new one, the kicker is I'm fighting with my extended warranty because they don't want to cover the repair because of the over sized tires.

Wish me luck but I'm probably going to be biting this bullet
Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

I got a cummins on a NSG370 So far.. Flawless
Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not install a trans cooler if you have the lifetime warranty. It will void the warranty. I have told this by Chrysler. Even if it is Chrysler cooler installed by Chrysler.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if it has the lifetime warranty I wouldnt touch anything on the powertrain.. leave it stock and let chrysler replace the 42RLE every few years on their dime...

ive had both 3.8s and now a 3.6, the difference in power is somewhat noticeable at the low end in the stickshift.. but a 3.8 with a manual wasnt a bad driver.. i get much better MPG in ,y 3.6 but that 3.8 i had with a 42RLE was a dog.. its that auto trans that makes the 3.8 a not so nice driving experience..

I havent yet owned a 3.6 auto but having rented them I find the newer trans is MUCH improved..
-Christopher
Old 12-11-2014, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So on my 08 jku auto 152,000 and no problems.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cpfiremn
get a tranny cooler and transmission guage ASAP. Those two items could of possibly saved me thousands. $3400 with 3yr/100,000 mile warranty is what's it costing me in a rebuilt better than factory tranny
I put in a b&m tranny cooler last winter. Never got around to getting a gauge. What kind do you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Do not install a trans cooler if you have the lifetime warranty. It will void the warranty. I have told this by Chrysler. Even if it is Chrysler cooler installed by Chrysler.
I have the lifetime powertain warranty.

I put on a B&M cooler back in '09 before the J30 recall (hot oil warning). Chrysler paid me for it after the recall issued.

Since then they replaced my trans pan under warranty (for corrosion, of all things) and they passed it as all ok at my five year inspection.

I'm surprised someone from Chrysler told you not to install one. It's practically mandatory on the 3.8/42RLE.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put in a b&m tranny cooler last winter. Never got around to getting a gauge. What kind do you recommend? Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
There are lots of choices these days for OBDII readers. Android users like the Torque app. iOS has offerings, too.

I have (and like) my aeroforce ScanGauge. But it's pricy compared to the phone-apps available these days.

Doing it over again today, I would look into the various bluetooth senders to pair with a smartphone.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put in a b&m tranny cooler last winter. Never got around to getting a gauge. What kind do you recommend? Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
I recently bought my tranny guages from glow shift, There are others such as autometer. I did my research and found that autometer or glow shift seem to be the most accurate. Quadratec and autometer sells the pillar pods for the guages, they run $50-65. I installed the flex lite tranny cooler a few weeks before my tranny grenaded.

Quick Reply: transmission failure on an 08