Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission Line Leak?

Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What year is your JK? I got a letter from Jeep saying that mine was included in the 2008 to 2010 cooler line extended warranty. Unfortunately, there is no pamphlet number reference in the letter. You may have to call the dealer with your VIN and ask if yours is covered. I just found this: NUMBER: 21-006-11 GROUP: Transmission DATE: June 15, 2011 SUBJECT: Extended Warranty - Transmission Oil Cooler Lines May Weep Transmission Fluid At The Hose To Tube Crimp Joints (7 Years or 70,000 Miles Warranty Extension) OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves installing new transmission oil cooler supply & return line assembly. MODELS: 2008 - 2010 (JK) Wrangler NOTE :This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and an automatic transmission (sales code DGV) built before March 10, 2010 (MDHO410XX). SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Weeping transmission oil cooler lines at the hose-to-tube crimp joints. DIAGNOSIS: If the symptom/condition is experienced proceed to the repair procedure.
I have 2008 but I'm not original owner, thanks for sharing letter I'm going to try and see if the dealer will fix it.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Jeepers!

My jeep got diagnosed with a transmission line leak yesterday (at the dealership where purchased) during an oil change. It's a 2009 2dr X with 54,000 miles. They quoted me $385 to replace it and said the extended warranty I bought didn't cover it.

Glad I checked here.. You guys are always a wealth of knowledge! After reading about the factory extended warranty I called a different jeep dealership to ask about it. The service guy looked it up and mine was actually a recall that had been done already (I'm the second owner). He said for that reason it has a lifetime warranty and will replace it for me tomorrow morning.

Hopefully all goes well.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Little_Miss_JK
Hey Jeepers!

My jeep got diagnosed with a transmission line leak yesterday (at the dealership where purchased) during an oil change. It's a 2009 2dr X with 54,000 miles. They quoted me $385 to replace it and said the extended warranty I bought didn't cover it.

Glad I checked here.. You guys are always a wealth of knowledge! After reading about the factory extended warranty I called a different jeep dealership to ask about it. The service guy looked it up and mine was actually a recall that had been done already (I'm the second owner). He said for that reason it has a lifetime warranty and will replace it for me tomorrow morning.

Hopefully all goes well.
It's good you pursued it until you found a dealer who knew.
The first dealer needs to be educated by you.
The second dealer will fix it, but he, too, is a little misinformed.

First, it's not a recall. It's only a warranty extension.
Second, there is no wording in the warranty extension to imply a lifetime coverage of the cooler lines.
If he wants to cover them for lifetime, get it from him in writing. Otherwise, the coverage ends at 7 years/70,000 miles.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

I will ask about it tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It's good you pursued it until you found a dealer who knew. The first dealer needs to be educated by you. The second dealer will fix it, but he, too, is a little misinformed. First, it's not a recall. It's only a warranty extension. Second, there is no wording in the warranty extension to imply a lifetime coverage of the cooler lines. If he wants to cover them for lifetime, get it from him in writing. Otherwise, the coverage ends at 7 years/70,000 miles.

I just want to update. I just contacted Jeep directly. It was in fact a recall on my vin#.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks i have 136,k on my 08 jku it's not covered. sad
Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I just want to update. I just contacted Jeep directly. It was in fact a recall on my vin#.
Oh well. Never heard of a recall on the leaking cooler lines. You got lucky having yours classified as an official recall.
I am aware of a recall for something rubbing on the cooler lines, but I don't know the details for the years covered.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-17-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

How did you contact jeep about this through the jeep website?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bullbray
How did you contact jeep about this through the jeep website?
Yes. Jeep.com contact page.

They have a section you can put your vin number in to see if there is a recall on your model. Mine said there were no recalls in progress.. But it was fixed once before.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mines leaking there too, I xiptied them away from the pitman arm

Quick Reply: Transmission Line Leak?