Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission will not engage

Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission will not engage

Hi there,
First, this forum has saved the day countless times for me and i am stoked that our Jeep community is strong so thank you in advance.

Having some, what i believe to be, transmission or clutch issues.
Story: I pulled a fellow keeper out of some snow this afternoon and when i was heading back to the house got stuck coming back up the driveway so i was inch by winching up the driveway. It was pretty deep snow and was defiantly giving the clutch and 1st gear a hardy work out. Was in 4WD low when all of a sudden there was no power going to any of the wheels. Now i can throw it in and out of gears without engaging the clutch and it doesn't even grind the gear box nor stall the motor. Had to leave it there for the night and have been searching hi and lo on dem internets to self diagnose it.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

07 JKU manual transmission

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 1.10.38 AM.png
Views:	80
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	664330

Last edited by OhShititsBranno; 01-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar issue in my Ranger and it was the input shaft to the transmission. Ended up having to replace it. First thing would be to get the Jeep to your garage and then put it up on Jack stands. I removed and replaced my clutch using basic hand tools. If you are mechanically enclosed and do not need your Jeep as a Daily then I would highly recommend doing the maintenance yourself.

If it were the throw out bearing you would not be able to shift the gears but would have power to the wheels. Doubt it is the transfer case but that could be the issue.

It is either going to be the clutch or the transmission input shaft.

R/
Will
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you're doing the tear down yourself then try to pull the transfer case away and then the transmission. It's easier to manipulate. Dropping it as far as it will go allows you better access to the top two bolts that are a pain to get.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all very helpful thank you! when i can get it back up to the house ill see what i can do to get it up to see if i can get underneath it enough to get at it.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have to agree it's either a broken transmission input shaft, where the splines engage the clutch or the clutch is not grabbing between the flywheel and pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Transmission will not engage