Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TSB & Recall Information

Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jameswharton
nam6869usmc...did they tell you what the date on the tsb was? It has an odd sequence of numbers compared to the previous one. Did they put a sticker under your hood with numbers on it?
Thanks,
Jim
Sorry guy's, :confused: the number I listed is shown as a (varIfied completetion number))of the TSB Flash number performed,...I looked further down on the (nvoice in fact it is the TSB 18-036-06 > (POWER TRAIN CONTROL MODULE) .....sorry for the confusion, and there is no sticker under hood.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The update that just came out. Is this the one for the T. Converter shudder? If so, I NEED IT BAD! And a new converter............
Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lionhart
The update that just came out. Is this the one for the T. Converter shudder? If so, I NEED IT BAD! And a new converter............
Here's the latest TSB that just come out on 01/31/07:

TSB - Flash: Torque Converter Shudder / Shift Quality Improvements / DTC P0732

Hopefully it will help you out

Last edited by DesertJeep; 05-21-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

THANKS! Will call the Shop today, and get that Torque Converter ordered. Hopefuuly, this will solve my problem.

On an unrelated note. My Gas Mil. is between 13.2 in City, and around 14MPG on the Highway. What gives??? Nowhere in bewteen 15-19 MPG that the Window Sticker claimed. I'm going to bring this up to the Shop guys when I bring it in.

EDIT TO ADD:

The TSB State's in part the following;

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software and replacing the torque converter as required.
So from the way in which I read this, it IS a requirment to replace the Converter? IE-Mandatory?

Last edited by lionhart; 02-02-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

So about that TSB for the UCONNECT on JK's, does that mean that we can't make it work even if we buy the u-connect unit at the parts counter? or would we now have to buy a nitro/sebring radio made for the u-connect?... i'd really like to have that.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that's too bad, I was hoping it would be an upgrade to the 18-036-06 that would tweek the fly by wire responsiveness to the pedal movement. I think that is why it seems somewhat sluggish at times. Once you get the 3.8 going it does well for the cubic inch. Hope they keep working on it, I think there is a lot more performance there.
Jim
Old 02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Noobie question.........what's a torque converter and how do I know if I need this newest TSB???

Thanks

fraynes1
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraynes1
Noobie question.........what's a torque converter and how do I know if I need this newest TSB???
Basically the torque converter in a car with an automatic transmission does the same thing a clutch does in a manual transmission, it connects the engine output to the transmission input.

It is essentially a pump connected to the engine output and a turbine connected to the transmission input, filled with fluid. As the engine turns it pumps the fluid into the turbine, forcing the turbine to spin and transmit power to the transmission. When you apply more gas, the engine pumps more fluid into the turbine, making the transmission spin faster as well.

When you're sitting at a stoplight with the brakes on, you force the turbine (which is connected to the transmission, which is connected to the wheels) to stop spinning. The engine is still pumping fluid into the turbine, but since the brakes are holding the turbine still, the pump just churns fluid until you let off the brakes.

There is no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the transmission in an automatic vehicle, it's all done with fluid. This is why you will hear people call the torque converter a slushbox, cause it's just fluid being churned and slushed around inside there.

This is also one of the reasons why an automatic transmission car has slightly lower gas milage than a manual. In a manual transmission, unless the clutch is slipping, there is a direct mechanical connection all the way from the engine to the wheels, but in an auto there is some loss happening in the torque converter when you convert rotary motion to fluid motion and back to rotary.

-E
Old 02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Jake Blues for the information........If I have a 6 speed will I need or want this TSB?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraynes1
Thanks Jake Blues for the information........If I have a 6 speed will I need or want this TSB?
Nope. The TSB only applies to automatics.

-E

Quick Reply: TSB & Recall Information