Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

U-joints!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joints!

I thiiiiink my front driver and passenger D30 u-joints are beginning to fail. Not sure because I've never dealt with them.

Just wondering if anyone here is really familiar with u-joints.

105xxx on them on 35" boots(AEV 3.5") and I get the odd clunking noise. Never any pattern to it, just random when there is torque from turning. Visually there is nothing I can see or determine the origin of said clunking noise.

Anyone have something similar?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

With that many miles I would just replace them to rule it out. Mine were shot after 30k but I live in a salt state. Did mine myself, not too bad of a job.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsmarble
With that many miles I would just replace them to rule it out. Mine were shot after 30k but I live in a salt state. Did mine myself, not too bad of a job.

Will do. I live in a salt saturated area too. This winter was especially bad with all the snow. Thanks for replying brother! I'll replace them for the sake of ruling it out and a little bit of self-schooling.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An easy way to check them is to reach under your Jeep and turn the drive shaft back and fourth. Look for play in the u-joints. Good luck
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i think he means

Originally Posted by Offroad_Elements
An easy way to check them is to reach under your Jeep and turn the drive shaft back and fourth. Look for play in the u-joints. Good luck

axle joints that he is referring too
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Bump... well, how is your u-joint
Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of mine were toast. Had a lot of play in the Ujoints themselves, i was able to wiggle them forward and backwards Ended up getting them replaced under the lifetime powertrain warranty
Old 04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Just went through this myself. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. You will see the problem right away with the axle u-joints. I was able to remove and replace the driver side myself - the hardest part is removing the three bolts for the wheel bearing. Watch that speed sensor too. It might break if you try to remove it from the bearing, but if you unplug it, you'll be fine. I could not move the wheel bearing bolts on the passenger side though and now my Jeep is at the dealership.
There are some pretty good write ups here too. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you use PBBlaster and a wire brush on the protruding part of the 3 bolts that holds the wheel bearing assembly you will be fine. If not you might break a bolt and have to replace the assembly. Like I did :( Good luck.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bsmarble
If you use PBBlaster and a wire brush on the protruding part of the 3 bolts that holds the wheel bearing assembly you will be fine. If not you might break a bolt and have to replace the assembly. Like I did :( Good luck.

I bent 2 13mm wrenches (almost to a 90degree angle) then tried to remove them with my electric impact gun. Nothing. Had to stop before I broke off the head. Sorry for the luck bsmarble.

Quick Reply: U-joints!