Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

U1418 ABS Sensor Error Right Side

Old 11-27-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default U1418 ABS Sensor Error Right Side

I recently had the U1418 error. Having done lots of research I thought it was the front right ABS wheel speed sensor. I inspected the entire length of the cable and found no problems. I figured as hard as it was to get to, I'd replace the sensor vice just inspecting it.
I bought a new sensor from NAPA and of course it came an a Genuine Jeep/Mopar bag inside the NAPA box and it was $18.
I found no signs of damage and the sensor came out easily. I installed the new part and went for a ride.
The ABS and traction control lights did not clear!
A little more research and I confirmed that others reported replacing the rear sensor and that solved the problem for the same symptoms. If I needed both I'd probably have to order the rear sensor and wait for it to arrive in a few days.
I went out and inspected the right rear sensor wiring and found the wire was not connected to the sensor!!! Apparently the lower bolt came out of my rear sway arm link. The link smashed the ABS connector and knocked it off. It was a little damaged, but I was able to get it back into shape and reconnect it. After replacing the bolt in the sway arm I took it for a test drive. The lights cleared after rolling forward about ten feet!
A couple lessons learned:
1. The U1418 can be caused by either the front or rear sensor. Inspect them both before buying parts.
2. Torque them rear sway bar links more often. I have not had a problem with them coming loose before.
The following users liked this post:
LarryAlex1 (07-19-2021)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will check this out today!

Quick Reply: U1418 ABS Sensor Error Right Side