Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upshifting

Old 02-25-2017, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upshifting

I posted recently about downshifting uphill and got some great responses. I was curious on any tips for upshifting people may have. I have a JKU and it's my first manual. I try and get to 3000 rpms when I'm shifting up (gears 1-3) and then I pause for a second or two before shifting to the next gear to let the rpms go down a little before hitting the next gear. I then let off the clutch slowly with some throttle. Sometimes the jeep jerks a little. I'm curious what you guys do for a smooth shift. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really common for me while getting into the highway or cruising along at 45-55 to shift from 4th right to 6th gear. Not so much for use while climbing a long hill but on flat or going downhill, I'll skip gears a lot.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

You stated it's your first manual trans car, with time and practice, you'll get rid of the rough transition between gears, although, when I test drove both a 2007 and a 2009 with the 5 speed I found that I was hard shifting as well and I've been driving manuals since I was 17 (33 now). I've heard the new 6 speed is much smoother, but I found the 07-11 5 speed to be very clunky and utilitarian.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

You have the right idea.. Might be waiting a tiny bit too long or not long enough, it will come with practice... Also you could try shifting before 3,000 rpm (if you don't need the power) it will be smoother try 2500.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't even use the clutch for up shifting. just get the rpm up to the right range, let off the gas, and shift. If you are slow at shifting you might have to hit the gas to get the rpm back up so it will slide into gear.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Same thing here, practice makes perfect, shifting at higher RPMs calls for quicker shifts to keep it smooth, lower RPM you can get away with slower shifts. Remember the clutch is not an on off switch, it is a pedal with travel. Same as with down shifts, the more you let the RPM fall, the tougher the shift will be.

Think of the gears as a staircase, the top of one gear overlaps the bottom.

Example using generic numbers:

Say in your Jeep 2nd gear 20MPH = 2,700RPM, while 3rd gear 20MPH = 1,100RPM. In the scenario if you shift out of 2nd at 2,700, into 3rd, and during the time of you shift the RPM falls below 1,100, you will have a very rough shift.

These numbers are greatly exaggerated, at least on the 6 speed, with the Jeep JK 6speed, the ratios are very close together, on mine the differences between gears is usually about 500 rpm. For smooth upshifts keep the rpm low, while practicing try you upshifts around 1,700-1,800 rpm and see what it gets you.

You aren't ready for clutchless shifting.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Also, this advice is given thinking of a 3.6JK with 4.10 gears, your experience may vary.

One easy way to get to know your new manual, is to get used to the clutch, and run through the gears a bit to get a feel for how the gear ratios relate.

To get a feel for your clutch, find a good patch of flat ground, either on a back road or an empty parking lot, and practice starting from a dead stop in first without touching the gas pedal. This will let you get a feel for the pedal travel and where the clutch engages and disengages, and how pedal travel effects how much the clutch slips. Next run it through the rpm band in each gear, keeping an eye on the speedo, take note of how the gears relate to each other. Don't redline it out, but climb up the curve a bit in each gear, how much different is the RPM between 2nd and 3rd at 20? What about 3rd and 4th at 30? At 40?

Drive around a while shifting at fixed points, you have a six speed, a lot of places have 60 mph speed limits, practice shifting at 10,20,30,40,50.

Catch 2nd at 10, 3rd at 20, and so on.

While the clutch on the 3.6 JK is clunky and noisy, and numb as all get out, it is pretty tough, it takes quite a bit to actually damage it. Go play with until you can shift it as smoothly as you would like.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't slip the clutch shifting up or down while moving you are affecting its life and that is just not the way to shift. There are a lot of schools of thought on shift points and there is a page in the owners manual that deals with it as well. Cruising through town for me is a different shift process than in the dirt or traveling highways. If I am cruising the beach I get a little peppy getting back on the road, coming out of Publix not so much.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewbacca
You stated it's your first manual trans car, with time and practice, you'll get rid of the rough transition between gears, although, when I test drove both a 2007 and a 2009 with the 5 speed I found that I was hard shifting as well and I've been driving manuals since I was 17 (33 now). I've heard the new 6 speed is much smoother, but I found the 07-11 5 speed to be very clunky and utilitarian.
Both my 6-speed 08 and 6-speed 10 (2-door Rubis) shift fine, only issue was the 08 popping out of first that was fixed under warranty. I never drove the 5-speed so I can't comment on it but I haven't really heard any complaints. Just remember Jeeps aren't sports cars and a short throw is what any 2-door rear seat siblings have when they are mad at each other, not a transmission attribute and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Upshifting