Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warn winch ?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a FYI if you go synthetic it will require you to maintain the rope as in cleaning and drying it out if used in the wet
Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic all day. Cleaning/drying is a breeze, dont let it deter you.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Macrubi2! And no doubt MSabs22, that's what I'm locked and getting ready to purchase the warn Zeon synthetic 10,000lb winch that should be more than enough for any sticky situation. Lol
Old 05-07-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does drying apply to the rain as well? Do most synthetic people keep a cover over it?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Does drying apply to the rain as well? Do most synthetic people keep a cover over it?
Most of the manufacturers have neoprene covers. I'm rocking a warn one and it works great, faded pretty fast though.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Word of caution

Here is a point no one has brought up. If you go with the synthetic rope make sure that you cover it. The UV from the sun WILL DEGRADE the rope and it could fail when you need it.

In addition, the synthetic rope is susceptible to breaking when strung over a rock or over/around another obstacle. It is even recommended you change out the fairing when installing synthetic rope to avoid having the rope encounter a burr and become damaged. If I were ever in a situation where if the cable broke and my Jeep would be damaged as it rolled backwards I would consider it to be a foolish choice to have chosen synthetic to save some weight.

My thoughts on having a dual purpose device such as a winch and compressor combination as in the PowerPlant one needs to take into consideration the reliability factor of the manufacture. Warn is a top name brand with a reputation of quality. While even parts from a reputable manufacture can and do fail, the probability is lessened by having obtained a quality winch in the first place. You only have to buy quality once. I personally have the 12,000/lb PowerPlant and I LOVE it! I chose the higher rating because I know it will have the capacity when I need it. Remember that the rating is based on the FIRST wrap of the cable and diminishes with each layer on the spool. Plus, I know I can pull out a Hummer without the winch failing.

My $.02 worth.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 05-19-2016, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Here is a point no one has brought up. If you go with the synthetic rope make sure that you cover it. The UV from the sun WILL DEGRADE the rope and it could fail when you need it. In addition, the synthetic rope is susceptible to breaking when strung over a rock or over/around another obstacle. It is even recommended you change out the fairing when installing synthetic rope to avoid having the rope encounter a burr and become damaged. If I were ever in a situation where if the cable broke and my Jeep would be damaged as it rolled backwards I would consider it to be a foolish choice to have chosen synthetic to save some weight. My thoughts on having a dual purpose device such as a winch and compressor combination as in the PowerPlant one needs to take into consideration the reliability factor of the manufacture. Warn is a top name brand with a reputation of quality. While even parts from a reputable manufacture can and do fail, the probability is lessened by having obtained a quality winch in the first place. You only have to buy quality once. I personally have the 12,000/lb PowerPlant and I LOVE it! I chose the higher rating because I know it will have the capacity when I need it. Remember that the rating is based on the FIRST wrap of the cable and diminishes with each layer on the spool. Plus, I know I can pull out a Hummer without the winch failing. My $.02 worth. KG6SLC aka Eugene

Thanks KG6SLC for the advice and info I will take that into consideration. I have been looking at the power plant more and debating between the zeon, ARB air compressor, or the the complete package like the power plant.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the price of the zeon and arb you're in the range of a powerplant. If speed isn't a concern you might consider that as an option. Any winch can fail, everyone talks about if one fails then you loose the other. I've never seen any support to this claim. My brother's powerplant is 7 years old and works like a charm. Granted I have s HS9500i and will be going with a York simply because I can build a better winch and OBA for less. It's just my personal preference.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKBud
With the price of the zeon and arb you're in the range of a powerplant. If speed isn't a concern you might consider that as an option. Any winch can fail, everyone talks about if one fails then you loose the other. I've never seen any support to this claim. My brother's powerplant is 7 years old and works like a charm. Granted I have s HS9500i and will be going with a York simply because I can build a better winch and OBA for less. It's just my personal preference.

Thanks JKBud,that's what I've been debating on seeing what is the better option and price wise as a package deal or separate. Plus I'll have some extra cash for other stuff to upgrade with the saving. Lol
Old 05-20-2016, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion is keep the winch and air separate and go synthetic. Keeps the weight on the nose of the Jeep down and I've had both compressors and winches fail. Much easier (and cheaper) to replace a compressor than to replace the combo unit. Have you thought of any other brand of winches? I use a Superwinch winch and they are top quality winches a little cheaper than Warn. Just installed the one pictured below. I mounted a Viair compressor under the hood for $80. I don't have a tank though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	647571

Quick Reply: Warn winch ?