Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you call parts on ends of tailgate bar and where to get them?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you call parts on ends of tailgate bar and where to get them?

Short version:
What is the part circled in the picture called and can you buy it separately?

Click image for larger version

Name:	with2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	647809

Long version:
Saturday morning I rolled up my rear window. While doing this, I put the tailgate bar on top of the rear of the soft top. Monday morning I decide to take the top down before work and realize the tailgate bar is missing. The realization dawns on me that I never took the tailgate bar off the top of the Jeep... I ran a bunch of errands on Saturday, but I can't imagine the tailgate bar stayed on the top for too long. I retraced my steps and couldn't find it. Of course, by then it had been two days.

I reviewed my options. $140 at the dealership today, $40 online in 3 to 4 days, or a guy on Craigslist that had one for $40 today. I chose the Craigslist guy as it was inexpensive, relatively close by, and it is supposed to rain the next few days...

I meet the guy, talk for a few, then leave with the tailgate bar.

I get home and put the top back up and it seems really loose. I then realize it only had one section that fits in the retainer, and it was in the middle. I slid it to one end and realized it should have two. Story of my life.

I sent the guy a follow up email, but the Craigslist ad was already gone, so I don't know if he'll still get the email (I don't use Craigslist too much, not sure how that part works). Hopefully he still has it. If not, what is the part circled in the picture called and can you buy it separately?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Call a company like a bestop. And ask them, the might be able to at least give you a part number!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by joker23
Short version:
What is the part circled in the picture called and can you buy it separately?

Attachment 647809
Well that looks like the thing-a-ma-jig that connects to the which-cha-ma-call-it or maybe it's do-hicky that connects to the thing-a-ma-bob which comes pre-assembled on the do-hicky-thing-a-ma-bob?

If I were take another guess, I would say it's the rear channel bar retainer clip?

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-25-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I kind of lucked out... The guy has half of the other one. He cut it to do something with the tailgate bar on his other Jeep. I guess it'll get me through. I'm going to need a replacement top soon anyway.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I just checked mine and I think that's all inclusive with the tailgate bar. A new bar can be had for $20 and up on eBay, probably as cheap locally too.

Quick Reply: What do you call parts on ends of tailgate bar and where to get them?