Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What lift should I get? Help!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lift should I get? Help!

Hello, I 'm fairly new to the Jeep community and would like some help. I'm a noob.

So I am looking at buying a lift kit for my Jeep. It is my daily driver, and goes offroad during the summer only for about a month, other than that, it becomes a mall crawler. I am looking for 2.5" lifts, and am going more for the look of a lifted Jeep more than an offroad monster. Suggest some lifts for me please!

Thank you!

Next Summer Mods:
- 15x8 Series 98 Rock Crawler
- 33x12.5R15 Wrangler Duratracs
- Flat Fenders
- New Side Rails
Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, It would actually depend on if you're going to flex drive more than street drive.. and if you want a hard lift or soft or even a combination of the two.. I mean we wanted the lift just because.. and we didn't want any more than 1 inch.. I mean there are a lot of choices out there.. and for me to point out one would be hard because we just wanted a mild lift.. which consisted of coil spacers and new shocks.. this would be viewed as a soft lift and I've actually seen 3 inch spacers just introduced.. Also depend on what jeep you have.. stock X/Sport.. the shocks would be a good starting point.. Sahara/Rubi.. your at a point where you really don't need to do much more other than personal preference.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey buddy!

It also depends on if you are going to be adding other things to the jeep such as bumpers, winches or anything else that adds weight. If you decide to this make sure you start off with the correct setup such as HD coils. You don't want to spend the money on a lift and then realize that everything will sag. If it's for looks only you could get away with a budget boost. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 AM
-

▲▲▲ What he said also.. I mean if someone wants me to say TeraFlex suspension kits then I'll say it.. but never had one so I can't say it.. Just seem logical.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Hey, It would actually depend on if you're going to flex drive more than street drive.. and if you want a hard lift or soft or even a combination of the two.. I mean we wanted the lift just because.. and we didn't want any more than 1 inch.. I mean there are a lot of choices out there.. and for me to point out one would be hard because we just wanted a mild lift.. which consisted of coil spacers and new shocks.. this would be viewed as a soft lift and I've actually seen 3 inch spacers just introduced.. Also depend on what jeep you have.. stock X/Sport.. the shocks would be a good starting point.. Sahara/Rubi.. your at a point where you really don't need to do much more other than personal preference.
I would be street driving more. 2.5" is just a personal preferences because I think it would look nice. Also I have a stock X. Would my jeep be complete, lift-wise, with just coil spacers and shocks? I don't really understand lifts too much as well. Thanks for posting though!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SebasCbass
Hey buddy! It also depends on if you are going to be adding other things to the jeep such as bumpers, winches or anything else that adds weight. If you decide to this make sure you start off with the correct setup such as HD coils. You don't want to spend the money on a lift and then realize that everything will sag. If it's for looks only you could get away with a budget boost. Good luck!
I won't be adding anything else on after. Maybe just light bars, but nothing of heavy weight. I have heard of budget boosts, what are some good ones? And should I get new shocks with it as well?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

"Complete" is a relative term. While I do know people that have installed "budget boosts" to their rigs in order to be able to run bigger tires or to make it look more aggressive, I personally wouldn't do it. The major reasons I wouldn't are two fold:

1) You can find suspension lifts installed for under $500 bucks if money is an issue, installing a full suspension lift really isn't THAT much more than a budget boost in my opinion. Rancho, TeraFlex, SkyJacker, Zone are good entry level lift kits.

2) Drivability - To me, a body lift or budget boost negatively affects the way the Jeep drives. It'll cause body sway which to me makes the jeep drive "loose". Putting a suspension lift on will in many cases actually make the jeep drive better, especially if you're going to put bigger tires on.

My avatar is my 2011 with a 4" Rancho Trail System lift with RS9000 shocks on Mickey Thompson MTZ 35's

Everyone has an opinion, and at the end of the day it really is what you think is best for YOUR rig... I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents...
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2.5 teraflex budget boost. I love it. Handles great. The budget boost helps maintain its stock comfort. It's also my daily driver with the off roading coming when I can get out. It's been great for off roading because it allows me to throw 35s on. Giving me 4.5" more clearance than stock. I have been able to get over some hairy obstacles because of it. It also looks big and bad when driving on the streets. Win win for me. Here are today's poser shots for me. Wish I would have found a bigger ramp though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140917_145358.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	575990   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140917_145416.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	575991   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140917_145423.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	575992  
Old 09-17-2014, 01:22 PM
-

Originally Posted by KVJK08
I would be street driving more. 2.5" is just a personal preferences because I think it would look nice. Also I have a stock X. Would my jeep be complete, lift-wise, with just coil spacers and shocks? I don't really understand lifts too much as well. Thanks for posting though!
Thanks for your post and clearing a few things up.. I think that if you're going to use just for street but occasionally take it off road and not disconnect the links.. I would stay away from any spacer kit thats over 2'' inch range.. and even thou this have been set in place there is not gurney that they will stay like this is you have a quick dico on your jeep.. In that case you'd need to think about a hard lift.. which can include spacer of an 1'' or less just to add a slight comfort to the hard lift.. But a simple and the most effective lift would be just to leave it as is.. but grab a set of extended shocks 1'' spacers and a set of the extended coils.. like those on the rubicon.. Remove the factory spacer (.75) install the teraflex 1'' spacers, new coils and extended shocks. Any more lift than this.. you may have to install other things.. Pitman arm etc..
Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Watch this video. It covers all kinds of lifts to help you decide what is best for you. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE&list=TL9W6YyiZe8svB89peKOVybxm9jlCll-S4

Quick Reply: What lift should I get? Help!