Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What u-joint for Dana 44 front axle? Do you carry spares with you on the trail?

Old 04-10-2015, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
So would I. If someone thinks they might, though (I've seen it happen), one of these could prove useful ... http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...lD-Vise/Towing
That's effing awesome
Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
In preparing for my next desert trip, I considered getting a spare U-joint to have, just in case.

I was at the dealer for the heated mirror safety recall for my '12 JKUR, so stopped at the parts counter and when the less-than-helpful clerk entered my VIN number, he came up with 2 different part numbers and couldn't tell me which one was the one I wanted.

After searching on-line for several minutes, I see that there are lots of conflicting posts about whether the U-joint is the same or different for Dana 30 vs 44. For a '12 Rubicon, does anyone have a part number for 3rd party suppliers? Can you confirm that they are different for the 44 for this year vehicle?

Also, I came across the following post from 2007 from the Quadratech advisor:
"Dont worry about carrying spare U joints, when the joint breaks It's going to take out the entire shaft as all the ones I've seen break so far have toasted the ears on the outer stubb and inner shaft. I'd suggest getting complete shaft assemblies from your local dealer and carrying them with you."

Do you agree with this advice? No point in buying and carrying a $60-100 part if it won't do me any good to attempt a trail repair.
spicer 5-7166x for my 2009 rubicon. Look into Napa npjp377 with zirk or npjp371 no zerk or uj377.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Not COMPLETELY sure, but I think there is a difference in the size of the u-joints used. I think like 2012 or so they went a bit larger. The ears on the axle shafts increased in size too (as in beefier)... I THINK.. I say this because a friend tried to install 2012 Rubicon D44 front shafts on his 2010 Rubicon and the ears rubbed the bolts that hold the wheel bearing assembly on. When we pulled the shafts back out and laid them next to his old ones, they looked visibly beefier. This included the u-joints. Not scientific, so perhaps this was an odd case?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Not COMPLETELY sure, but I think there is a difference in the size of the u-joints used. I think like 2012 or so they went a bit larger. The ears on the axle shafts increased in size too (as in beefier)... I THINK.. I say this because a friend tried to install 2012 Rubicon D44 front shafts on his 2010 Rubicon and the ears rubbed the bolts that hold the wheel bearing assembly on. When we pulled the shafts back out and laid them next to his old ones, they looked visibly beefier. This included the u-joints. Not scientific, so perhaps this was an odd case?
Interesting. I thought the change happened in 2013( beefier ears?) Did you get them to fit with some grinding?
Old 02-11-2017, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Which brand of U-joint to buy?

I'm currently investigating the various options for replacing my JK Rubicon front axle U-joints.
I can either buy the Mopar Unis - part #68145053AA
or Dana Spicer H/D - Part #5-7166X
or USA Alloy Rubicon U-joints

Q - Is the Mopar part just a repackage Dana Spicer #5-7166X uni or is this Spicer part an even stronger version?
Q - Does anyone know who manufactures the Mopar u-joint?

Q - And has anyone tried the USA Alloy brand of H/D U-joint as it's a bit cheaper. I have used their brand before in other components such as Ball Joints and been very happy but is it as strong as the Dana Spicer which seems to get the best feed back maybe because they're more common.

Which brand should I buy?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the sealed spicer ujoint 5-7133x. Do not get a joint that are greasable. The grease passages weaken the joint

Quick Reply: What u-joint for Dana 44 front axle? Do you carry spares with you on the trail?