Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why do people even purchase jeeps?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Smiles!

Just covered 1100 miles both on and off road on a 6 day vacation in B.C. Saw cowboys driving a herd of horses and, later, more cowboys driving a herd of cattle in a gully washer downpour, saw a brown bear, black bears, and deer. And we just smiled all the way. Can't wait to hit the road and trails again later in June. - Ted
Old 05-27-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

At least once a week I get stopped and asked about my Jeep. But the reason I bought it was it's diversity. There's no other vehicle that is so damn capable. Yeah, there's some mods you have to do but for the most part even a stock JK is a whole lot of fun. I had my Toyota Tacoma and loved that little truck but when we went off road the Jeeps were the ones that just got it done. So when it came time (the Taco went over 400K miles) to get another 4x4 I went with the JK and have never regretted it in over 3 years. I love building it, here and there and always have a desire for something new. I'm astounded with some of the stuff this vehicle will do. I'm 60 years old and I drove and learned how to drive on a WWII Willy's. My friends Dad gave us one to drive on the fireroads in SoCal when we were 13 years old. We had a blast and I never quit wanting another one. So glad I got one.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

I was in the market for a new vehicle in '08 and was stuck between the JKU and the Mazda CX-7. The Mazda was much prettier and more plush, with lots more power. But the dealer didn't have it in the color I wanted. So I got the Jeep instead (it was also cheaper).
Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back again

Well I got a wild hair and sold my 2010 JK. I had a Ford 4x4 and thought I didn't need two 4x4's. I traded it on a new Harley Ultra Limited. I love the bike, loved the one with 90,000 that I traded on the new one too. 17 months later and one trip to Colorado using the truck in the mountains and I went shopping....LOL. The Ford worked fine, but it just wasn't a Jeep with the top down!

Today I traded the truck on a new to me 2015 Wrangler Sport 2 door that the previous owner had already started the upgrades on. Went from my black to a red and I love it already! Now I got to get me sig fixed.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Too much fun

I’ve always wanted a Jeep and finally bought a new 2008 JKR. Being single, it was my only (4 wheel) vehicle and DD. I use it in my job as a pipeline inspector where I have to be able to get to remote areas and back, sometimes alone. After a brief fling with an FJ cuz the Jeep dealer REALLY pissed me off I returned to the fold and bought a 2014 JKUR.
When I met my honey we got a more practical vehicle but she was soon bitten by the Jeep bug. Now we also have a 2002 Wrangler X and the mods have begun.
My best buddy bought a 2012 JKU Altitude after driving mine and swears he’s never going to have anything else. I took another buddy to Jeep Beach last year and he’s planning to get one when the next time he trades in.

Jeeps are just way too much fun and highly addictive.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeps are like Harleys, not very practical but damn fun and the things you can do to them to make them personalized is limitless! Which is part of the fun by the way....LOL

If you own both, like me, then you stay broke buying parts.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Jeeps like Harleys? nope.

Jeep, fun, looks cool, can go anywhere...

Harley, NOT fun, looks like a ass pirate riding one, and can't go anywhere..(always broken).

I hated my Harley...and traded it in on you guessed it....another jeep!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default totally agree 100%

Originally Posted by bbrider
Jeeps are like Harleys, not very practical but damn fun and the things you can do to them to make them personalized is limitless! Which is part of the fun by the way....LOL

If you own both, like me, then you stay broke buying parts.
And my harleys have been trouble free and have never had issues or broke down, years and years . just basic maintenance and tons of reliability .

i suppose any one could get a lemon out of the bunch but not me .
I do find them practical though
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
And my harleys have been trouble free and have never had issues or broke down, years and years . just basic maintenance and tons of reliability . i suppose any one could get a lemon out of the bunch but not me . I do find them practical though
I use my jeep to tow my Harley to vacation spots. Just a lot more fun cruising around winding mountain roads with the Harley than the jeep. Have had two harleys. Both fantastic, reliable, and a blast to drive. Not knocking the jeep, each has its place.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Right on dude same here

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I use my jeep to tow my Harley to vacation spots. Just a lot more fun cruising around winding mountain roads with the Harley than the jeep. Have had two harleys. Both fantastic, reliable, and a blast to drive. Not knocking the jeep, each has its place.
two different animals . And i love both for their very different intended uses

I cant believe i heard some one actually say they thought a harley was junk
65,000 miles on my road king never dripped one drop of fluid or broke down EVER. My jeep that has seen failures lol but i still love it and its 4.5 years old
AS far as harley being practical i cant see any aspect of it not being practical unless you intend on driving it in the winter in snow belt carrying a rifle in your back pocket isnt practical a large flashlight 4 d batterys works good

Last edited by jeepmojo; 06-07-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do people even purchase jeeps?