Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will ETC burn up my rear brakes in the sand?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will ETC burn up my rear brakes in the sand?

I don't have an ESC kill switch wired in yet. Will driving in the dunes cause the rear end to keep applying the brakes to keep the rear wheels spinning the same speed? 2016 JKUR.

yes, I searched. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Why would you need to wire in an ETC kill switch to turn off ETC?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996cc
I don't have an ESC kill switch wired in yet. Will driving in the dunes cause the rear end to keep applying the brakes to keep the rear wheels spinning the same speed? 2016 JKUR.

yes, I searched. Thanks!
are you worried about the ETC Electronic Throttle Control or the ESP Electronic Stability Program?

If you are in 4Lo then the ESP is turned off and won't activate while off-roading. I believe it works while in 4hi, so if you plan on trying to get some air in hi range then it might be an issue.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

I'm probably using the wrong terminology. What I'm talking about is the system that applies the rear brakes to keep the rear tires spinning the same speed. Whatever that is, is still active even when the ESC is turned off.

Last edited by 1996cc; 01-17-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

BLD is brake lock differential. This takes considerable wheel spin to engage. If you are in the soft sand on beach you should be in 4 lo which turns off traction control.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
BLD is brake lock differential. This takes considerable wheel spin to engage. If you are in the soft sand on beach you should be in 4 lo which turns off traction control.
Thanks for the BLD name. What constitutes as considerable wheel spin?

Last edited by 1996cc; 01-17-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No one uses 4lo in sand. It's 2wd or maybe 4hi if it's a big hill. It will literally take less than 30 minutes to put the switch in. If you run the dunes or want to do doughnuts in the snow it's the only way.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996cc
Thanks for the BLD name. What constitutes as considerable wheel spin?
I played with this a little bit and it takes some technique. I put my Jeep in a rut such that a rear wheel was off the ground in 2wd. When I tried to go, the Jeep wouldn't move forward because that wheel was spinning in the air. I then sort of pulsed the throttle. I could feel the BLD kicking in, applying the brake to the free spinning wheel, causing the other rear wheel to drive me out. Do a google search for BLD. You will find some good information such as videos and animation.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
No one uses 4lo in sand. It's 2wd or maybe 4hi if it's a big hill. It will literally take less than 30 minutes to put the switch in. If you run the dunes or want to do doughnuts in the snow it's the only way.
How is this switch different than just turning off traction control with the existing on/off button while in 4hi?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
How is this switch different than just turning off traction control with the existing on/off button while in 4hi?
Using the built in switch, you cannot completely kill the traction control, even when it is turned off, it is still on, it is just marginally less intrusive. Try to cut a doughnut in sand/snow using the factory cut off, and the system will turn back on, and even with the skinny pedal to the floor, the RPMs will fall and the fun is over.

Wiring in the switch kills the traction control completely, it also kills the ABS and the BLD.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Will ETC burn up my rear brakes in the sand?