Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield cracks from defrost

Old 04-23-2014, 01:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it's truly not from a rock strike, it could be from some torsional pressure from the windshield frame, and uneven heating from the defroster was the last straw.

I've never had it happen and I've applied the defroster when it was -30°F.
Mine did this too. The wife was pulling out of a friends driveway and from the Temp<30/defroster/torsional pressure the glass did what every ones has done. Up 4 inches and turned to the right. Then $230 later all is fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had mine brake this winter too from the defroster. Right on the drive side next morning I went out to start my jeep, turn on the defroster an a few minutes later it cracked all the way across.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

same thing happened to me this winter. got it replaced via insurance and asked the guy when he did it if there was a chip or anything because i couldn't find one. he said it looked like i got a small hit right at the bottom and the heat just popped it.

got a big chip 5 days later >.<
Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

dealer will run a ball point pen the length of the crack and any little divot no matter how small (mine was the size of a grain of sand) they will not replace. They also take digital photos and blow them up. I have had two break the same way on two new JK wranglers both within a month or so of new.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracks from defrost