Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Radiator Fan Keeps Running

Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Keeps Running

Need some help here. Twice this week when I got home and turned off Jeep, the radiator fan kept running. The first time I let it run for awhile and it just never turned off. I disconnected it to shut it off.

The next few days I drove with no issues. It would come on as usual and shut off. Today, my wife came home with it and again the fan kept running. I ended pulling the fuse to shut it off.

Anyone have this issue and if so, what was the problem?

I have a 2009 JKU Rubicon.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The fan is computer controlled, so the simplest thing to try first is disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute to reset things.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The fan is computer controlled, so the simplest thing to try first is disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute to reset things.
I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

This happened to me on my 97' Cherokee. Eventually the fan quit completely. When I finally figured it out it was a bad wire in the wiring harness, on the jeeps side of the connection to the fan. We cut out the bad piece of wire and spiced in a new piece. Good as new. A cheep auto parts store electrical test light was the key to chasing down the bad spot. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I'd check the relays that turn the fan on, could be sticking contacts.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I will have to take it in. None of the above suggestions worked. Thanks for the replies. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Just in case this relay didn't checked, it's a bit hard to locate, see the pics here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-222989/page2/

One can check for stuck contacts with a meter, but a quick and dirty test that often works for sticking contacts is to tap with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the contacts un-stick (and the fan stops).

Old 06-08-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Just in case this relay didn't checked, it's a bit hard to locate, see the pics here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-222989/page2/

One can check for stuck contacts with a meter, but a quick and dirty test that often works for sticking contacts is to tap with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the contacts un-stick (and the fan stops).

Guess I was messing with wrong connector. Located the relay from the link you sent, tapped on it and so far so good. Hopefully this fixes it.

Thank you!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Glad that was it. Tapping on the relay will only fix it temporarily. The welded contacts separate, but will weld together again -- The plating on the contacts wears out. The part number 56055667AB relay is around $20.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Glad that was it. Tapping on the relay will only fix it temporarily. The welded contacts separate, but will weld together again -- The plating on the contacts wears out. The part number 56055667AB relay is around $20.
Ordered one today.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan Keeps Running