Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oops, Mirror Cowl Dent

Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oops, Mirror Cowl Dent

My 2016 JKU has less than 500 miles on it and the infamous cowl dent (already repaired by the dealer).
I even KNEW this could and would happen from my other Jeeps but...

I didn't realize the wiring for the door runs inside the strap. I didn't remove the wiring connector and pulled the wiring pretty hard.
Now the dome light will not come on when the drivers door is opened. Dome light works fine on all the other doors so I am guessing I just pulled the wires too hard.
I am probably going to just take it back to the dealer and see what they will do.
Is there anything I can check or do to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2016, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced that entire wiring harness on my 2014. I pulled the whole plug off. It was like $17 and included the wires and nylon strap. You have to temove the inside door panel to replace it. But it's fairly simple.

If you don't mind, how much did they hit you to repair the dent?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

It took about 30 minutes for the guy to do it and he charged me 60 bucks.
He did an excellent job and you can't tell it was ever there.

I don't have power windows or locks or any of that stuff, just the dome light switch.
I may just play dumb and see what the dealer says
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

The dealer wasn't buying it about the wiring in the door. It was a long shot anyway as they are the ones who scheduled the guy to repair the dent.It is 100 bucks to replace the harness on a JKU.

I took the door panel off and removed the harness. I found where the wires were broken and soldered them back together and put everything back together.
When the door is open (unlatched) my Voltmeter shows continuity (as it should and as does the passenger door) and when the door is closed (latched) it reads as a broken circuit.

So now the wiring is fine and working as it is supposed to but... The dome light doesn't come on.
Yes I have the switch on the stalk set properly and all the other doors turn the light on, but nothing when using the drivers door.

I know the switch and wiring are working properly. I tried inserting a jumper between the two pins on the connector under the dash and it still wouldn't come on.

Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Oops, Mirror Cowl Dent