Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WTF someone stole my spare wheel!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buttnakedjeeping
Just saying if he does...you get what you when buying used.
Craigslist is full of brand new take-offs and he'll pay less than his deductible.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Craigslist is full of brand new take-offs and he'll pay less than his deductible.
He should get a bumpsticker that reads "Dear thief, please leave you're number so that I may buy back from you what you steal because it will still be cheaper than my deductible"
Old 11-28-2014, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig
He should get a bumpsticker that reads "Dear thief, please leave you're number so that I may buy back from you what you steal because it will still be cheaper than my deductible"
I'm sure he found be the first to find his stolen stuff for sale on Craigslist!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

saw these at autozone. They should id and document everyone who buys them. They should rename them "Wheel thief's little buddy"
Old 11-29-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the spare tire lock from Bolt. Uses the factory key. Fits tight to the wheel and will spin without loosening the lug nut. Does require a deep socket to remove the lug nut portion once the lock is removed. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1920581908.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	585997

Last edited by Broncorif; 11-29-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
saw these at autozone. They should id and document everyone who buys them. They should rename them "Wheel thief's little buddy"
I'm both a bit saddened and a little conflicted over finding that these are available and wanting them for the tricky bag in case of emergency.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I actually tried to find those and could not. When I bought my used Jeep, the dealer removed all the locking nuts because they did not have a key to give me. They forgot about the spare and by the time I realized it, I was too far from the dealership to go back. A small tire shop ended up removing it for free, but those tools do serve a purpose. People lose locks and need to get a wheel off. I'm sure they weren't designed to be a tool of theft. Thieves can steal a lot with wrenches too.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncorif
I use the spare tire lock from Bolt. Uses the factory key. Fits tight to the wheel and will spin without loosening the lug nut. Does require a deep socket to remove the lug nut portion once the lock is removed. Attachment 585997
I have the same bolt but it can easily be defeated. I heard it could so I tried and it could.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got Gorilla lug nuts as well as a BOLT cable lock on my spare. Truth is, somebody can get it if they want it bad enough. Just hopefully it deters them enough to move on to something else.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lock it good enough and they'll have a spare and a slightly used OEM tire carrier and tailgate on Craig's list. Slight lock and hinge damage included. Those guys will have the rubber on the road also listed 'cause they got pissed off.
If someone wants it...they're gonna get it.

Quick Reply: WTF someone stole my spare wheel!