0%
SRC Smitty Built Roll Cage 76904
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep JK Punisher Edition Build Log Full Custom Jeep by Del Rey Customs

Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe this thread is still going, and I can't believe Del Rey Customs still pays to be a forum sponsor

[edit]

I had said he was obviously ****ing with you guys with those kick panels, because in the pictures the bed lining looked like Helen Keller did it and I saw diamond plating on the floor...so I assumed they took a picture from some backwoods Alabama CJ or something online...then I scrolled back a bit further (haven't checked in on the thread in a couple weeks) and saw nope...sure enough...it's a bad tub job and tacky diamond plating...siiiiiiick

Last edited by jknit; 08-22-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe anyone would actually think those speaker "boxes" in the front floor (where you have to put your feet) could be a practical or good idea?
Seriously, what were you thinking?
Sorry, but I'm all about form following function...and there isn't much functional about that lay out.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeighP
I can't believe anyone would actually think those speaker "boxes" in the front floor (where you have to put your feet) could be a practical or good idea? Seriously, what were you thinking? Sorry, but I'm all about form following function...and there isn't much functional about that lay out.
In the right vehicle, in the right application, with ultimate sound quality the goal; minimizing path length differences is a key ingredient. That said, one way to do this is mounting speakers in kick panels. What many installers fail to realize is that the only frequencies that are really beneficial is mid bass...from around 80hz to 250hz. These frequencies are critical for time arrival. Frequencies below 80hz have waves that are simply too large to be part of imaging in a vehicle. Frequencies above around 250hz are more intensity dependent. And simply angling the drivers is usually enough since on axis is more likely louder than off axis. So aiming the right side speakers to direct their output to listener on the opposite left side and aiming the left side speakers towards the listener on the right side usually accomplishes a balanced stage.

More important than distances is phasing and 1st and second order reflections of the speakers output. In this regard, the Jeep fails. And wins. Sort of. The idea is to get the speakers output to arrive at the listening position directly, without reflections, with greater intensity than the speakers first reflected wave (1st order) and second reflected wave(2nd order). The first and second order reflection waves are generally destructive to the frequency response and cause peaks and dips in response. The irregular arrivals of "rouge" sound waves also cause major issues with imaging and staging.

The idea with DelRays kicks are to cause everything to have the same reflections and direct sounds and minimize path length differences all in one whack! Wether he realizes this or not, don't know. A lot of times people follow the heard for reasons that it MUST be better. In a Jeep? Not so much. Every vehicle is different. Never is a "one size fits all"the best idea. Not to mention cosmetics. Oh well. I've got coffee to drink. Gonna read some other posts.

Tried to make some edits to make this a little more readable. Lol.

Last edited by Collyn; 08-23-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Damn. In post coffee retrospect, I think I was rambling. Oh well. Too lazy to edit the above. Lol.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Collyn
Damn. In post coffee retrospect, I think I was rambling. Oh well. Too lazy to edit the above. Lol.
No, I think it was interesting to understand some of the logic and reasoning behind why things are positioned where they are.

Both Shane and myself arrive back in LA on Sunday so will meet up Monday/Tuesday and go over the Jeep. It will be good to see it again - last time I saw it was June 22nd. Then the final push to delivery on 15th September
Old 08-23-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Come on guys! He is pulling your legs. Didn't you see the wadded up cardboard and napkin holding them in place? ;-)
Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gkarshens
Come on guys! He is pulling your legs. Didn't you see the wadded up cardboard and napkin holding them in place? ;-)
I thought that was hiding some gaps in the floor. Or spots where they missed the bead liner spray. Lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Del Rey Customs
More lights mounted on the MORE brackets

Attachment 571523

Almost all done with them
Is this the first time we've seen the rear end? Because holy LOL at that exhaust. Did you seriously put dual ricer size exhaust pipes on a Jeep? On any serious trail those things would be broken off pretty quickly. Why not go the stealth route and put the Dynomax exhaust that sits underneath the Jeep? Sorry but those exhaust pipes look ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, I'm starting to think the only ones being punished are us.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattfl
Is this the first time we've seen the rear end? Because holy LOL at that exhaust. Did you seriously put dual ricer size exhaust pipes on a Jeep? On any serious trail those things would be broken off pretty quickly. Why not go the stealth route and put the Dynomax exhaust that sits underneath the Jeep? Sorry but those exhaust pipes look ridiculous.
Those are in no way ricer. Those are the ridiculous tips dodge, ford, and Chevy guys put on there overly jacked up trucks to try and sound and look cool. Still look ridiculous on that jeep though.