SRC Smitty Built Roll Cage 76904
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep JK Punisher Edition Build Log Full Custom Jeep by Del Rey Customs

Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCO JK
Controlled by an iPad mini? What happens when it rains? No music at all?
That is an interesting point - I wonder if I can get a lead into the centre console where I could plug it in if the dash area is out of use due to rain.

With a bit of luck I won't be using it in the rain but you never know.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCO JK
Controlled by an iPad mini? What happens when it rains? No music at all? That would blow. That's half the fun in being caught in the rain! Blare the radio, and make it look like you don't care. Which you shouldn't, cuz you're in a jeep. But that was a smart move.. 15k audio would be a shame to lose in a freak shower. Personally, I would like a day of Houston rain to hit out here... so I could watch everyone cry about REAL rain for once.
I am not an apple fan so don't know much about the mini, but as with most devices... is there not a case of some sorts you can put on your ipad mini to make it waterproof or at least water resistant?

Would also like to point out that the interior dash/steering wheel of the Jeep is not anymore water proof then a normal vehicle. I've been fortunate enough to not have a problem with accidental downpours while parked or driving, knock on wood. But you can still damage the oem radio/clockspring/anything in the dash, when it is raining. Better to just toss a soft top or at least a bikini top on it when rains are coming. Even a rolled up (Non NX) trektop can take minimal space or a bikini top folded into the glove box or something. That would protect the mini at the same time
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I am not an apple fan so don't know much about the mini, but as with most devices... is there not a case of some sorts you can put on your ipad mini to make it waterproof or at least water resistant? Would also like to point out that the interior dash/steering wheel of the Jeep is not anymore water proof then a normal vehicle. I've been fortunate enough to not have a problem with accidental downpours while parked or driving, knock on wood. But you can still damage the oem radio/clockspring/anything in the dash, when it is raining. Better to just toss a soft top or at least a bikini top on it when rains are coming. Even a rolled up (Non NX) trektop can take minimal space or a bikini top folded into the glove box or something. That would protect the mini at the same time
Yes you can use the lifeproof case. Another option for you 3chainz
Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not an apple fan so don't know much about the mini, but as with most devices... is there not a case of some sorts you can put on your ipad mini to make it waterproof or at least water resistant?

Would also like to point out that the interior dash/steering wheel of the Jeep is not anymore water proof then a normal vehicle. I've been fortunate enough to not have a problem with accidental downpours while parked or driving, knock on wood. But you can still damage the oem radio/clockspring/anything in the dash, when it is raining. Better to just toss a soft top or at least a bikini top on it when rains are coming. Even a rolled up (Non NX) trektop can take minimal space or a bikini top folded into the glove box or something. That would protect the mini at the same time
Yes, I was looking at something like this to provide emergency cover just in case:

All Things Jeep - Waterproof Cab Cover by Rampage Products with Door Flaps for Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door Unlimited models (2007-2013)

The issue is that none seem to cater for the 50" light bar. Has anyone see a cover like this that can cover the light bar?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 3chainz
Yes, I was looking at something like this to provide emergency cover just in case:

All Things Jeep - Waterproof Cab Cover by Rampage Products with Door Flaps for Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door Unlimited models (2007-2013)

The issue is that none seem to cater for the 50" light bar. Has anyone see a cover like this that can cover the light bar?
Some of those work and some don't. This is my experience with the pavement ends emergency top -> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...6/#post3841167 I liked it since I could keep driving and it would be less space. Didn't work out...

Another member mentioned he had good luck with the bestop emergency cover ->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...6/#post3973760 so that could be a better option.

The full cab cover you posted would probably do a good job as they are usually heavier and meant for when the vehicle is not moving. If you would like to drive anywhere when it is raining, you obviously would be restricted from that. If you are planning to use a cover for when it is parked and not worry about when driving, they sell vehicle covers at most auto places and they usually have a lot of extra room in them, that would cover the light bar without any issue.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are planning to use a cover for when it is parked and not worry about when driving, they sell vehicle covers at most auto places and they usually have a lot of extra room in them, that would cover the light bar without any issue.
Yeah I think you're right, a loose fitting static cover will probably be best and leave it parked if I get caught in the rain. Probably best I leave it in the garage if rain looks likely!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an interesting point - I wonder if I can get a lead into the centre console where I could plug it in if the dash area is out of use due to rain.

With a bit of luck I won't be using it in the rain but you never know.
What about when the ipad shuts down from overheating(which they do when left in the hot sun). This is the most ass backwards, poorly thought out build I've ever seen. I don't know much about jeeps, but half this shit is common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by etl330
What about when the ipad shuts down from overheating(which they do when left in the hot sun). This is the most ass backwards, poorly thought out build I've ever seen. I don't know much about jeeps, but half this shit is common sense.
I don't foresee that to be an issue based on having a few convertible cars with 7-8" screens and they never appear to get that hot in the sun. Also I do have roof netting to deflect sun. The iPad will only be in the dash when I am in the Jeep too and don't expect it to get that hot in there - a quick google search says it shuts down at around 117 degrees F. If its that hot in there then I won't be in there!

Of course, if it does get in direct sun for a while then it may get that hot, but having it mounted in the dash vertically means midday sun should hit the device at a shallow angle and not heat it up too much.

Time will tell if I am wrong.

So not poorly thought out - consider it more a calculated risk based on SoCal weather, the iPad location/orientation in the dash and protection from direct sun given by the netting.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

I don't foresee that to be an issue based on having a few convertible cars with 7-8" screens and they never appear to get that hot in the sun. Also I do have roof netting to deflect sun. The iPad will only be in the dash when I am in the Jeep too and don't expect it to get that hot in there - a quick google search says it shuts down at around 117 degrees F. If its that hot in there then I won't be in there! Of course, if it does get in direct sun for a while then it may get that hot, but having it mounted in the dash vertically means midday sun should hit the device at a shallow angle and not heat it up too much. Time will tell if I am wrong. So not poorly thought out - consider it more a calculated risk based on SoCal weather, the iPad location/orientation in the dash and protection from direct sun given by the netting.
It doesn't need to be that hot for it to shut off. Hell. I can leave my phone on the porch, in the shade, and if it's around 100 degrees outside it shuts off.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't foresee that to be an issue based on having a few convertible cars with 7-8" screens and they never appear to get that hot in the sun. Also I do have roof netting to deflect sun. The iPad will only be in the dash when I am in the Jeep too and don't expect it to get that hot in there - a quick google search says it shuts down at around 117 degrees F. If its that hot in there then I won't be in there!

Of course, if it does get in direct sun for a while then it may get that hot, but having it mounted in the dash vertically means midday sun should hit the device at a shallow angle and not heat it up too much.

Time will tell if I am wrong.

So not poorly thought out - consider it more a calculated risk based on SoCal weather, the iPad location/orientation in the dash and protection from direct sun given by the netting.
The netting will make a huge difference. I don't recall what kind of netting you have above your head but I run the spiderweb shade. The difference it makes is very noticeable. I doubt I'd drive around much in summer with the heat if the netting would not be there.