SRC Smitty Built Roll Cage 76904
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep JK Punisher Edition Build Log Full Custom Jeep by Del Rey Customs

Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3chainz
For what it's worth, Shane was very clear that the front axle should be upgraded but I was not convinced. We agreed to see how it went and if it breaks we upgrade it.

Honestly, I was really surprised how quickly it all exploded under not exactly extreme conditions. I still find it hard to grasp how going to 40" wheels/tires turned the truck from a Trail Rated vehicle that should do very well off road to something so badly outside of its design parameters that it shredded gears on its second run in the sand. Thankfully, I don't make a living from making engineering calls like this :-). The forces from this wheel/tire combo must be many factors larger than even a typical 35" after market set up. You live and learn!!

I think Shane will be the first to admit that we have both learned a huge amount from the forum members. I don't think that is even a discussion point. I know for sure I have gone from a standing start to knowing at least something and appreciate that there is a lot more that I probably won't ever grasp.
I actually respect this response, honesty and truth.

40" tires are a big size change, even on 35s i broke things. But there are many of people who have no problems on 35s. Just way to many variables. There are plenty of people here who have learned the hard way or from experience, me being one of them.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like pizza

Last edited by D_engel; 07-23-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3chainz
Honestly, I was really surprised how quickly it all exploded under not exactly extreme conditions. I still find it hard to grasp how going to 40" wheels/tires turned the truck from a Trail Rated vehicle that should do very well off road to something so badly outside of its design parameters that it shredded gears on its second run in the sand.
Didn't think it would fail that fast either. Your wheels/tires are kinda far from stock axle/gear spec. I am just glad it happened now and not a worst time or place...

Saturn - Do you have any video footage of the time of break?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still pretty much a noob to the Jeep life within the last 5 years and by far any type of Jeep expert but I will have to give Saturn, Del Ray Customs and 3Chainz mad respect because as far as PR you have knocked this one out of the water. From what I see you have been one of the most popular threads on JK Forum in a while and in the world of business you have to take the good and bad but as long as people are talking about you your doing something right. I have been in sales a long time and you will always get people that hate and it's just how it is. Keep up with what your doing Saturn and remember that 3Chainz is your main audience since he is paying your paycheck. I would suggest you take in some of the stuff on here as there are a lot of Jeepers with a tremendous amount of experience and I am I aww by some of the stuff they fab and the knowledge on here. I admire how you have stayed true to the course even through all of the hate. You have my respect.

Last edited by SOGMANINPA; 07-23-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

You put 40" tires on a D30 with 5:13s and you're surprised. Totally clueless would be closer to the truth. How many people do you need to tell you it's not going to last. That D44 won't last much longer as the ring gear isn't much bigger. Must be nice to have money to burn. There are at least 5 forums with dedicated JK sections for advice. Don't go to Wayalife, their advice is very biased. Do some research elsewhere and you'll get the same Advice 40" tire, Dana 60.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JKG33K
Didn't think it would fail that fast either. Your wheels/tires are kinda far from stock axle/gear spec. I am just glad it happened now and not a worst time or place... Saturn - Do you have any video footage of the time of break?
The old axel was just a Dana 30 stock with 5:13 gears added. It was not the core 44.

No we were heading back out from lunch and boom. Totally unexpected. We figure taking or a few rollers and getting a little air world bend the stock Dana 30 was the plan. Not to strip a ring gear getting stuck in a bowl and trying to rock out.

One minute your going up a dune and the bottom falls out. I was more concerned with getting it out and back to level ground and not destroying anything else. I want to still push it more but the it's not my Jeep and I have to make a business decision. I choose to shut it down. I didn't have permission to go out and complete try to destroy the build.

It was a really cool 3 chainz allowed us this opportunity.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
You put 40" tires on a D30 with 5:13s and you're surprised. Totally clueless would be closer to the truth. How many people do you need to tell you it's not going to last. That D44 won't last much longer as the ring gear isn't much bigger. Must be nice to have money to burn. There are at least 5 forums with dedicated JK sections for advice. Don't go to Wayalife, their advice is very biased. Do some research elsewhere and you'll get the same Advice 40" tire, Dana 60.
We have been in good contact with 3 chainz and we have presented him all his options. We chose the core 44 for his basic purpose of daily driving on the highway and occasional hitting the sand.

I believe the ring gear stripped because we didn't have any lockers in the axle. I sent the build specs to ARB and explained to them the intention for use and the felt this was a good option for his need. A few other company also recommend there 44 option as well for what the customer is looking for.

We actually prices out the Rockjock 60 but if your doing a 60 on the front I recommend also doing the rears. The full setup with all the bells and whistles and it was just under15k.

If you look back 3 chainz said if he gets the off road bug the he would probably build an rig specifically for that on a 2 door

On that we would spending the money on the "functionality" and building it for that purpose.

Dropping the money some Dana 60 a V8 and an atlas transfer case. Step down to some 18 inch rims and tire package instead of 24 inch Forgiato.

When we do a consultation we ask question to discover what the customer wants and present options.

On almost every build we make calls and double check my facts. We do homework. We. research and see if there anything new or better options out there so We can look at the best plan of attack.

Ultimately my customer satisfaction is my goal. The old "customer is always right is true". With out a customer the best idea can be discussed and dreamt about but with money being tight it's better to man it on a build someone wants instead of something no one cares about.

Last edited by Del Rey Customs; 07-24-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Del Rey Customs

On almost every build we make calls and double check my facts. We do homework. We. research and see if there anything new or better options out there so We can look at the best plan of attack.
Please!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could care less what parts you put on this or any other customers build. I agree, build what the customer wants. My problem is that as a shop, people are paying you to do the work professionally. The work we have seen here is hack. Parts installed incorrectly, parts welded on wrong and with horrible welds, etc. This is why I have no respect for your shop, not because of the parts you put on, or that you build it from a catalog. Your "homework" should include how to do things the right way.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have been in good contact with 3 chainz and we have presented him all his options. We chose the core 44 for his basic purpose of daily driving on the highway and occasional hitting the sand. I believe the ring gear stripped because we didn't have any lockers in the axle. I sent the build specs to ARB and explained to them the intention for use and the felt this was a good option for his need. A few other company also recommend there 44 option as well for what the customer is looking for. We actually prices out the Rockjock 60 but if your doing a 60 on the front I recommend also doing the rears. The full setup with all the bells and whistles and it was just under15k. If you look back 3 chainz said if he gets the off road bug the he would probably build an rig specifically for that on a 2 door On that we would spending the money on the "functionality" and building it for that purpose. Dropping the money some Dana 60 a V8 and an atlas transfer case. Step down to some 18 inch rims and tire package instead of 24 inch Forgiato. When we do a consultation we ask question to discover what the customer wants and present options. On almost every build we make calls and double check my facts. We do homework. We. research and see if there anything new or better options out there so We can look at the best plan of attack. Ultimately my customer satisfaction is my goal. The old "customer is always right is true". With out a customer the best idea can be discussed and dreamt about but with money being tight it's better to man it on a build someone wants instead of something no one cares about.
Your stuck on those 18" rims huh. The breaks on the 60s is more than enough so there is no reason to put the same brake system you have on his current jeep. 17" wheels is going to give you more tire choices and keep the coat down on tires. Just makes more sense.