Notices
Whats In Our Shop In-house builds and projects

JK-Forum - Rock Hard 4x4 Open Tech / Install / Support Line

Old 02-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK-Forum - Rock Hard 4x4 Open Tech / Install / Support Line

JK-F,
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a "one stop forum shop" for your Rock Hard 4x4 tech, installation, and 'how-the-h..' questions.

I'll check this thread as often as you need to make sure you get your questions answered. Whether it's a pre-purchase tech question, in the middle of install question, or super far down the road warranty question - let's consolidate it all right here.

Quick highlights that may help answer your question before you even ask:

Installation Instructions:
We've rewritten our JK instructions plus shot videos on how to install them all.
Click this link to get access for free download >>INSTRUCTIONS / VIDEO<<

Lifetime Warranty Questions:
Rock Hard 4x4 has a lifetime product warranty on all products we manufacture - except powder coat. Pretty much no questions asked unless it's a good story and I want to hear all about it!

Jeep JK YouTube Install Playlist:
www.youtube.com/c/rockhard4x4

Last edited by Rock Hard 4x4; 02-08-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great company.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor

A very common tech question - just shared this on Facebook as well.

"I read I have to remove my factory cross member to install your Rock Hard 4x4 Oil/Pan and Transmission Skid Plate. Is that true?"
Not true - on newer JK's there is a new "skid" that you must remove prior to installing our system. It does not get reused and is frankly about as flimsy as the factory evap canister skid plate.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

What are the first skids a person should look at buying for a rig that's used for Overlanding with the occasional rocky trail. I guess the question could be asked differently, where do you see the most damage that could have been prevented with a skid plate?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dlampe
What are the first skids a person should look at buying for a rig that's used for Overlanding with the occasional rocky trail. I guess the question could be asked differently, where do you see the most damage that could have been prevented with a skid plate?
On a 4-door you'll undoubtedly see more damage on your fuel tank support than anywhere else. That's just a result of your wheel base and transition over an obstacle. So to answer your question - we see more dings, scrapes, and knocks on factory gas tank skid plates. However, damage there is not as critical as damage to your Oil Pan, Transmission area.

Now it's not just rocks overland guys need to worry about. You are traversing forests where logs can creep up from underneath and take out a drivetrain component or an oil pan.

Obviously a full skid plate system including evap canister is ideal - and when priced out all 4 of our skids is actually pretty affordable. How so? Price out a motor, labor, and car rental fees. Replacement transfer cases aren't cheap, nor is a tow off the trail and to the dealer to purchase a new evap canister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys80SCb6XmU
Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor

Awesome Sport Cage tech question just came in - and we're surprised we had not posted it yet since it's so regular:

"Should the clamps be tightened until they touch?"

They can touch, but that's a sign they may not be tightened down evenly. Remember, we machine our caps and collars but cut them apart with a saw blade. That means you'll be missing the width of the saw blade, so after install you should have an even gap all the way around. Start with center bolts, bring together evenly, then tighten outside bolts.

Last edited by Rock Hard 4x4; 02-18-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Just bought the oil pan, transfer case and gas tank skids for my JKU. I can't wait to get them mounted

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by x1buellist
Just bought the oil pan, transfer case and gas tank skids for my JKU. I can't wait to get them mounted

Thanks!
Congrats!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looking at buying a used tranny/oil skid, older generation without the CAT protection. I need the hardware kit which I did not see on your website. Is that offered? PM me please if so. Thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bluebear
Looking at buying a used tranny/oil skid, older generation without the CAT protection. I need the hardware kit which I did not see on your website. Is that offered? PM me please if so. Thanks
PM sent

Quick Reply: JK-Forum - Rock Hard 4x4 Open Tech / Install / Support Line