Notices
Whats In Our Shop In-house builds and projects

Rock Krawler JK-R Code Name "Petey"

Old 04-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Longlegs
Cool. Is it going to look like a jeep or a buggy?
A great memorial no matter what!
Sorry for the delayed response. . .no idea how I overlooked it. This will look like a jeep. It's actually going to run factory jeep skins on the front (hood and grille). If you're familiar with the Liquid Iron Industries eliminator chassis, it will be very similar.

Here is a video of what that chassis looks like in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BAnI9uO6MM
Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

So, as long as you use just the front half of the frame this qualifies as a JK? Whats the purpose of the legends class if 99.9% of the vehicle is fabricated. I would think it would be called a silverado since it has more chevy parts in it then jeep.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
So, as long as you use just the front half of the frame this qualifies as a JK? Whats the purpose of the legends class if 99.9% of the vehicle is fabricated. I would think it would be called a silverado since it has more chevy parts in it then jeep.
Legends class doesn't require a stock frame or have the limitations like the Stock and Mod classes. This class is basically made up of older Ultra4 buggies (4400 class) and is designed to be a sportsman class without cash payouts.

What Rock Krawler is doing with this build is to have something that can showcase "off the shelf" parts as well as be a test bed for new products all while having a blast.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thats what I thought, so why use half of the front frame of a JK and deal with the limitations. As far as "off the shelf" all I see is a motor and some control arm joints.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Former Vendor

Thats what I thought, so why use half of the front frame of a JK and deal with the limitations. As far as "off the shelf" all I see is a motor and some control arm joints.
We have built two modified class buggies prior, both 4500 class. Both were intended for the show/race circuit and both got beat pretty bad after the first race, king of the hammers. So, to keep it looking pretty we did a tube chassis from Liquid Iron. This way we can change out some skins between races and not have to worry about large body panels and paint/body shop time.

As for off the shelf. All suspension materials are the same we use for all RK products. Front link mounts on the frame are off the shelf. Basic design principals are all the same (reverse triangulated rear upper). We will also be using this car to test our coil overs and bypass shocks.

Another reason for packaging around the factory frame is it allows us to be acceptable, with modest changes, in other classes. Technically speaking we could race 4500 class if we wanted. 4400 class is also an option if car count in other classes is limited. The reason we don't call it "Silverado" and kept the chassis is for us to learn and work around the restrictions in the JK. Our customers have these restrictions so we felt we should as well. And inspiration is found everywhere for fab kits. You never know, the next big craze could be tubed back halves with reverse triangulated four links and trailing arms. . . why not?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Why not? Because just building a buggy would make more sense and have fewer restrictions/limitations. Cutting the rear half off a JK is a dumb waste of money and yes I am dumb for doing it.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:35 AM
Former Vendor

The JK Frame was chosen so we can continue to prove/improve our products. This build is based on our Rock Racer System with a few new developmental shocks so we can continue to push them to their limits.

If we decide to run the vehicle in Jeep Speed, which it will qualify, the OEM top surface of the frame is required from the steering box to the back of the B pilar so that is exactly what section of the frame we have used.

RK
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

Sorry about the delay on pics guys, it has been crazy around here with getting all new CNC machines! We are up and running full capacity. We had a lot of delays on the car due to getting the company to be where it needs to be. A bunch of the guys have stayed late and even come one weekends to make everything possible to race KOH 2017

Here are some updated pics of the car! We just got it back from powder coat, assembly will start tonight..
Old 11-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor

Sorry about the delay on pics guys, it has been crazy around here with getting all new CNC machines! We are up and running full capacity. We had a lot of delays on the car due to getting the company to be where it needs to be. A bunch of the guys have stayed late and even come one weekends to make everything possible to race KOH 2017

Here are some updated pics of the car! We just got it back from powder coat, assembly will start tonight..

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 11-10-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Former Vendor

So last night a couple of the guys from the race team got together to finish welding on the axles and start the assembly. As you can see we got the engine and tranny in and of course the light bars lol I will keep you updated from here on out!

CC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	660638  

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 11-11-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler JK-R Code Name "Petey"