Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tread Wright Guard Dog Tires...any good?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tread Wright Guard Dog Tires...any good?

Has anyone used the retreaded Guard Dog tires from Tread Wright??

.treadwright.com/Portals/0/aspdnsf/images/Product/medium/77.jpg[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-14-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

Sure, a lot of us do. There have been several threads on them. Might want to do a search, but here's one:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=treadwright

Here is set of their new 315/75-16's.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

what lift are you running on the blue 2-door? The tires look great.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running 285/75/R16 with no lift.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	102330Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	102331
Old 11-14-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is treadwright a sponsor?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ridder
Has anyone used the retreaded Guard Dog tires from Tread Wright??

treadwright.com/Portals/0/aspdnsf/images/Product/medium/77.jpg[/url]
They are selling retreads. Personally, I would not put retreads on my Jeep.

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-14-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zacjackson
what lift are you running on the blue 2-door? The tires look great.
Thanks, man. I just have Unlimited Rubi springs and TF spacers f/r. The front spacer is 1", the rear is 1/2" and has the dongle to keep the spring from falling out.

Right after I bought the Jeep I put 265/75-16 Guard Dogs on the stock steelies. I had to do something before I wheeled it since it came with SR-A's. Since I've regeared and done a little lift (I've also cut the fenders since the pic), 315's seemed like a good idea. I used the 265's for 4000 miles and was very pleased.

Harbourone - to my knowledge, they're not a sponsor. So that link, even though it's only a picture, should not be clickable. Wonder if they (TW) will let me link to this site as an image?

AFAIK, that doesn't break any rules.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w squared
They are selling retreads. Personally, I would not put retreads on my Jeep.
Just wondering why you say you wouldn't put retreads on your Jeep?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KSARG1
Just wondering why you say you wouldn't put retreads on your Jeep?
Because I already have enough fun dodging the chunks of disintegrated retreads off of commercial trucks that are scattered over the highways.

Because while I have a lot of faith in my ability to control a vehicle that has a high speed blowout, I have no wish to test that ability while on a crowded four or six lane highway.

Because I'm allergic to tire blowout induced Jeep rollovers.

Because with the exception of tires designed for commercial (heacy truck) use, most modern tire carcasses are not engineered to be re-used.

Because I've already been behind the wheel of a truck that was totalled after another vehicle had a tire blowout, lost control, and t-boned me.

What may be workable for a vehicle that has eighteen wheels is not necessarily workable for a vehicle that has four. If a retread rips itself to pieces while at highway speed on a semi truck, there's a sixteen out of eighteen chance that there is another tire right next to it to take up the load, and there will not be a significant effect on the directional stability of the truck. That whole "sixteen out of eighteen" thing is why there are also different standards governing the fitment of retreads on steering axles of trucks.

My Jeep already started out with a relatively high center of gravity. Add 3 inches of suspension lift, and another 1.5 inches of ride height from larger tires...suddenly that center of gravity is somewhat higher. If I were to have a retread failure on one of the four tires on my Jeep while at highway speed, the chances of it having a LARGE negative impact on the stability and controllability of my vehicle are pretty good. When you're already starting with a high center of gravity, a high speed swerve caused by a tire blowout can cause a rollover.

Tires are important. Tires play a big role in getting you down the road safely every day. I don't mind paying top dollar for top notch tires. I don't think that putting recycled tires onto my vehicle is a wise way of saving money - I don't have any idea what the carcass of the tire went through prior to having new tread put on it, and I don't have any way to ensure that the new tread has a proper bond to the carcass of the tire. I know, I know, there is a QA/QC process...but I've seen enough failures within other QA/QC processes to know that a company that is focused on squeezing points out of the already thin margins in tire recycling is not going to be setting new standards for world class QA/QC.

To be blunt, the potential consequences of retread failure aren't worth the cost saving - at least according to my math.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

Because I already have enough fun dodging the chunks of disintegrated retreads off of commercial trucks that are scattered over the highways..
Those are as likely to be new, underinflated tires as underinflated retreads. Most OTR tire failures are caused by underinflation. Period.

Because while I have a lot of faith in my ability to control a vehicle that has a high speed blowout, I have no wish to test that ability while on a crowded four or six lane highway.

Because I'm allergic to tire blowout induced Jeep rollovers.

Because with the exception of tires designed for commercial (heacy truck) use, most modern tire carcasses are not engineered to be re-used.

Because I've already been behind the wheel of a truck that was totalled after another vehicle had a tire blowout, lost control, and t-boned me.
Was the tire a TreadWright? That is what we're talking about here.

What may be workable for a vehicle that has eighteen wheels is not necessarily workable for a vehicle that has four. If a retread rips itself to pieces while at highway speed on a semi truck, there's a sixteen out of eighteen chance that there is another tire right next to it to take up the load, and there will not be a significant effect on the directional stability of the truck. That whole "sixteen out of eighteen" thing is why there are also different standards governing the fitment of retreads on steering axles of trucks.
Not in the United States. A couple of states have regs abour using retreads on the steers of buses, but that's about it.

My Jeep already started out with a relatively high center of gravity. Add 3 inches of suspension lift, and another 1.5 inches of ride height from larger tires...suddenly that center of gravity is somewhat higher. If I were to have a retread failure on one of the four tires on my Jeep while at highway speed, the chances of it having a LARGE negative impact on the stability and controllability of my vehicle are pretty good. When you're already starting with a high center of gravity, a high speed swerve caused by a tire blowout can cause a rollover.
Sure, blowouts are bad. We all know that. One of my buddies had one in his Ram 2500 diesel. He's my only friend that's ever had a blowout...said it was pretty scary. Of course this was with a brand new Pro Comp M/T and not a TreadWright, so it isn't really relevant.

Tires are important. Tires play a big role in getting you down the road safely every day. I don't mind paying top dollar for top notch tires. I don't think that putting recycled tires onto my vehicle is a wise way of saving money - I don't have any idea what the carcass of the tire went through prior to having new tread put on it, and I don't have any way to ensure that the new tread has a proper bond to the carcass of the tire. I know, I know, there is a QA/QC process...but I've seen enough failures within other QA/QC processes to know that a company that is focused on squeezing points out of the already thin margins in tire recycling is not going to be setting new standards for world class QA/QC.
There are failures in QA/QC in all industries. Tires both new and remolded are not excluded from that. After carcass inspection, TW applies the tread layer in exactly the same way new tires are built. I'm comfortable with their QA/QC. You're not.

To be blunt, the potential consequences of retread failure aren't worth the cost saving - at least according to my math.
Okay.

Quick Reply: Tread Wright Guard Dog Tires...any good?