Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Woods' "Killer Gear" Reviews - JeepSWAG.com

Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one of these for Fathers Day and it's really nice, but I can't find a holder for it. Something to keep it in the Jeep on the roll bar ideally.

Over all I'd say it's a really good flashlight, especially for the money. I've seen some tactical lights that were nicer sure but they were in the 100 dollars-ish price range. The range on the full focus full power is GREAT for the size comparable to some spotlights I've had over the years. Lower power modes are more suited for typical use and are more than bright enough for any use short of long rang spot.

The only down side is you have to cycle the power button (you don't have to power it completely off but that's easier) to change modes, which isn't too bad but kind of kills the strobe as a security feature.

Over all it's hard for me to imagine getting a more capable light for 30 bucks.

Consider this cat herded.

Last edited by nikbass; 06-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sleeping Bag Review

Wiggy’s Sleeping Bags

The value of a sleeping bag is driven by four factors.
- Price
- Warmth
- Size (compressed)
- Warranty
- Weight

You don't need to spend $500:
Let me start by saying that I sleep cold. At 20 degrees, I’m comfortable in a -20 degree bag. I’ve tested way too many sleeping bags over the years. I currently own a warm large heavy and inexpensive Kelty. A -30 degree Slumberjack Big Timber, A 0 degree rated Qualofil mummy bag, A 0 degree rated Coleman, A Summer rated North Face a Wiggy’s Ultima Thule a Wiggy's FTRSS Overbag, as well as a couple of other bags that I’ve collected over the years. I’ve always known that I can spend over $500 on a bag and get a great product; lured by promises of extreme cold temp ratings, Iv'e typically gone the cheap route. I’m writing to share what I’ve learned and hopefully help you avoid making the same mistakes.

Jeeps don't have much storage space:
All but my Qualofil and Wiggy’s bags do not compress well. They're all warm, but when I pack for more than a two day trip, the space that two of these bags takes, is too much. Thus, my quest for the perfect bag continued.

Not down with down:
Down has some problems. If it gets wet, it does not work, does not like to be compressed for long periods of time and is expensive. These are deal killers for me, unless I’m hiking.

Does your bag make packing complicated?:
I do what I can to minimize the amount of work required to pack and unpack my gear. Unpacking and uncompressing a bag for storage is unnecessary work.

For cold weather, go for a fitted bag;
When it comes to warmth size matters more than you might think. My first Wiggy’s bag was a Super Light with a hood, rated at 0 degrees. Iv'e used this bag in 30 degree weather and did not sleep warm. What this bag taught me was how important bag size is. The Super Light is a large rectangular shaped bag. A low volume bag is much warmer than a large volume bag. In the summer time, go for a larger volume bag and for winter camping, go for a fitted bag.

After all of my testing, I’ve ended up with a Wiggy’s FTRSS sleep system. The most popular Wiggy's FTRSS is the "Super Light FTRSS". A true 4 season, two bag set, that covers ratings at 40 degrees, 0 degrees and -40 degrees. MSRP is $408 and JeepSWAG sells it for under $290 shipped. The Overbag is a large warm bag that gets me through over half the year. If you’re a fair weather camper, the Overbag cannot be beat. It’s a 2 lb. bag that compresses very well. Wiggy’s have what I’d call a cult type following. Those that use them love them. As far as I know they are the only sleeping bags manufactured in the U.S.A. They can be stored compressed and compress down to a very small size.

Heater Tip:
I use a four season tent for winter camping and a great tip that I have is to purchase a Mr. Heater Buddy heater. This little heater will heat my tent from 20 degrees to 70 degrees, in about five minutes. I pre-heat my tent, then roll the bags to remove all of the cold air from them. In the morning, I’ll fire up the heater a few minutes before climbing out of my bag. You won’t believe how much more comfortable this is.

LINK TO THE JEEPSWAG SLEEPING BAG PAGE

Here you can see why my "big bag" took too much room in the Jeep:

Video Review of how the Wiggy's FTRSS System works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmy2WcfB4Ko Good review that I found on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTcYN7VadUk Another vid with some extreme camping (sleeping details start at min. 3:30:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWg-WcQOSmA
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! This is my favorite thread..
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Thanks for posting up

Originally Posted by nikbass
I got one of these for Fathers Day and it's really nice, but I can't find a holder for it. Something to keep it in the Jeep on the roll bar ideally.

Over all I'd say it's a really good flashlight, especially for the money. I've seen some tactical lights that were nicer sure but they were in the 100 dollars-ish price range. The range on the full focus full power is GREAT for the size comparable to some spotlights I've had over the years. Lower power modes are more suited for typical use and are more than bright enough for any use short of long rang spot.

The only down side is you have to cycle the power button (you don't have to power it completely off but that's easier) to change modes, which isn't too bad but kind of kills the strobe as a security feature.

Over all it's hard for me to imagine getting a more capable light for 30 bucks.

Consider this cat herded.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

so.. I have a hard time spending 400 bucks on a sleeping bag. jeep parts.. sure. not a sleeping bag. what would your recommendation for a sleeping bag for use from spring through fall. I sleep kinda cold too.. but dont have a problem putting on an extra pair of socks and a hoodie. Something that mildly cost effective as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I couldn't agree more. Super Light is a zero degree bag, for $150 shipped. If you sleep cold, that should keep you warm down to 20 degrees. RE a hoodie and socks - make sure they are NOT cotton. Wool, silk or synthetics only. Get more extreme and you can always add an overbag to it. That's a great combo.

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
so.. I have a hard time spending 400 bucks on a sleeping bag. jeep parts.. sure. not a sleeping bag. what would your recommendation for a sleeping bag for use from spring through fall. I sleep kinda cold too.. but dont have a problem putting on an extra pair of socks and a hoodie. Something that mildly cost effective as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
I couldn't agree more. Super Light is a zero degree bag, for $150 shipped. If you sleep cold, that should keep you warm down to 20 degrees. RE a hoodie and socks - make sure they are NOT cotton. Wool, silk or synthetics only. Get more extreme and you can always add an overbag to it. That's a great combo.
thanks.. gonna look into that one!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

I have a Redline flashlight and it great! It puts my 3 cell LED maglight to shame and it's much smaller.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

WAY TO LONG without an update.

Here's a gnarly vid testimonial for wiggy's bags. This guy's a NUT!:

http://youtu.be/YD3wA5Wrcmc
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Two times, I've been on runs where a fuse has blown. On my own rig, the fuse for the fuel pump went. No rime or reason. It happened about three years ago and has never happened since. Another time, we missed diagnosing the fuse as the problem and three hours of trail towing and a tow truck ride later, we learned that the fuse was the problem. EVERY rig should carry spare fuses. But what to do when your fuse blows and for some reason you miss that it's the problem. Here's the best answer that I have. Harbor freight carries fuses that light up when a fuse blows. They have an integrated LED in every fuse. They work very well and will assure that you don't miss a blown fuse indication again.

An absolute NO BRAINER. Buy these!: 30 Piece Self-Testing ATM Mini Blade Auto Fuse Set

Quick Reply: Woods' "Killer Gear" Reviews - JeepSWAG.com