Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write Up: MyGig RHR 730N Install for 2007 - 2010 JK

Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Write Up: MyGig RHR 730N Install for 2007 - 2010 JK

Just went from a MyGig RER to a RHR today.

Here's the write up:

RHR Front (same as RER)

RHR Rear Connectors

Note the Difference that the RHR only has 2 FAKRA antenna connectors, compared to 3 that the MyGIG RER has. This is because the separate SAT Antenna and GPS antenna connectors on the MyGig RER has been combined into a single connector on the RHR.

The AM/FM antenna connector (White Fakra) remains the same as all other Chrysler radios.

The MyGig RHR as well as having a single USB connector on the front panel, just like the RER, additionally has 2 rear side USB connections, which are using a standard "Mini B" USB connection. The same USB connector which is typically found on USB Portable hard drives.

The main connectors remain common between the RER and the RHR, making our lives easier. If you've already done an RER install, then these connectors are plug and play.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default The Most Challenging Part SAT/GPS Antenna Connections

As mentioned there is a single SAT/GPS antenna connector. So the question you're probably going to ask next is, "How do I connect both my GPS antenna and SAT Antenna in my 2007-2010 JK to this single SAT antenna connector on the RHR radio?"

You have 2 options.....and here are your answers to doing each.

Option #1: Buy a new antenna (The easiest option) The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is currently one of the 1st Chrysler vehicles that has the MyGIG RHR 730N radio as an option. So there must be a single antenna which is available that is able to receive GPS and SAT radio information and then connects to this single connector. So your easiest option is to buy one of these antennas. The part number for this dual SAT/GPS antenna is 05064910AA (Thanks radside).

Option #2: Make A SAT/GPS combiner adapter (The not so easy option)
You will need to use a Power Splitter/Combiner device. One that will work for combining a GPS and SAT antenna signal is made by mini-circuits (www.mini-circuits.com). The model number of the device is ZFSC-2-2500 or ZFSC-2-2500-S+. Price ordered directly from mini-circuits is $74.95.

Device Data Sheet Link:
http://www.mini-circuits.com/pdfs/ZFSC-2-2500+.pdf

I purchased one off of ebay for $40 by doing a search on "ZFSC-2-2500".

Here's what it looks like:

The device has 2 inputs and 1 output, it works very similar to a cable TV splitter, except in reverse for this application where it is combining the signals.

Here's what you need to do with this device to make it an adapter, so that it plugs into your existing JK system.
You will need to additionally get the mating FAKRA connectors, connect them to COAX cable and then connect the COAX cable to the device as shown.

Your existing GPS Antenna connector will connect to INPUT 1, and your existing SAT Antenna connector will connect to to INPUT2, where the output "S" will then connect to the RHR GPS/SAT single connector.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-16-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default USB Parts and mounting

The RHR has 2 rear Mini B USB connections for being able to connect devices like iPods, iPhones, MTP devices, and Storage Media devices (FAT32 Formatted).

We will want to connect to these connectors with standard USB cables and install some standard "USB A" panel mounts in the vehicle for easy plug and play access.

Here are the parts that I decided to use to make this happen, along with the mounting locations I chose. You can use what works best for your needs.

USB Mini B (Male) to USB A (Female)
I ordered these off of ebay $2.00 ea.

Panel Mount USB Connector
There are various Panel mount USB connectors that you could use to be able to plug your external devices into. I decided to use this Panel mount, made by Switchcraft. Purchased from Sweetwater Sound $6.19 ea (www.sweetwater.com). They're black, thus won't be a big eye sore, rugged enough to not bend/break when plugging devices in/out and are flush mount with the ability to screw them down from outside the panel. They have a USB B connection on the back side, and a standard USB A connection on the front side (they can also be reversed).

USB Panel Mount.

For the Final USB connection from the RHR, I then used a standard USB Printer Cable (USB A MALE to USB B MALE).

When connected all together you should get something that looks like this:

USB Connections

To mount the Switchcraft USB panel mounts, you will need to drill a 7/8" mounting hole into a panel.

Chose your USB access Mounting Locations
I decided that I wanted one connection out of sight, where I could plug my iPod in, leave it and it remains hidden so not to attract attention when I'm away from my JK and the other where I could have easy plug and play access when I'm driving and for also using to charge my iPhone.

Glove Box Mount:
Remove your glove box and drill a 7/8" hole (See pic for the location I chose). Then drill small holes to insert the mounting screws. Don't leave it mounted, it is much easier to mount it after you have reinstalled your glove box. It's difficult to connect the USB cable to the back of this connector if the connector is already mounted, unless you have very tiny hands. I recommend the following steps.
- Insert Glove box
- Run USB Cable through mounting hole
- Connect Cable to Panel Mount
- Mount USB Panel Mount by inserting it into the hole, and then secure with provided screws.

Result:

Driver's Side Access Mount
I decided to put this USB connection mount on the driver's side/Center Console/Kick Panel. It would allow me to place my iPhone in the center console tray and then run a short USB cable to the connector. It also made for an easy USB cable run to the back of the RHR.

If you decide to use this location, you need to be very careful on where you decide to drill the 7/8" mounting hole. Directly behind this panel are some metal pipes which will prevent the USB Panel Mount connector from being fully inserted and there are also wire harness runs that you don't want to drill into. So drill slowly and make sure not to run the drill too deep, once you've gone through the plastic. After trying to squeeze my hand behind here to get a feel of where there was enough space to safely drill the hole, I was able to find a general area which I found suitable to drill. It was hard to get a good feel but finally decided to go with a no gutz/no glory approach, since I obviously didn't want to have to drill a 2nd hole and turn my kick panel into Swiss Cheese and I didn't want to have to take my entire center console apart to find out an exact location to start drilling.

Here are the dimensions of where to place your drill bit to start drilling the hole with the 7/8" hole drill.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-16-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Dash Connectors and Connections

Now it's time to Install the RHR.

Hopefully, you've removed your existing radio already, if you haven't then there are a lot of other tutorials which will show you how, but that is not the focus of this write up.

After you remove your radio, you should see most of these connectors.

Existing Connectors and what they are:

UConnect Mic Connector
If you don't have this connector, it's because you have a standard stock radio which does not currently have UConnect functionality. If you have this connector, but have any other radio besides the MyGig RER, then you can NOT plug this connector into the back of the RHR. For the RHR and RER radios, they have a built in Uconnect Module and this connector is for plugging in a UConnect microphone only. Other Chrysler radios require an external Uconnect module for Uconnect functionality, but plugging that into the back of an RER or RHR will not work.

GPS Antenna Connector
If you don't see this connector, then that means you probably don't have a Navigation radio currently installed and you need to go purchase a Navigation antenna.

Rear Seat Entertainment Connector
Most of you should not have this connector. Don't worry about it, if you don't. This is used in Chrysler vehicles for connecting the radio to the RSE and being able to control the RSE with the radio and to also provide video output from the radio to the RSE displays. I have this connector in my JK, because I am running the video output from the RER/RHR to 2 rear seat displays, so that DVD's played in the front seat, can be viewed on the rear seat displays. (That's a different write up, for a different day).

Ready to Install View

Install Steps:
- Run USB cables to the Dash Radio mounting area, I recommend using black tape to secure all the cables together to prevent them from coming loose from each other, as well as securing them with tape at the USB panel mount connection.
- Install your GPS/SAT Antenna and connect to GPS/SAT connector on back of RHR or if you made an adapter so can you use your existing Antennas, then connect the GPS and SAT connectors to the Inputs of the adapter and the output of the adapter to GPS/SAT connector on the RHR.
- Connect existing AM/FM Connector to RHR
- Connect existing Main Connector to RHR
- Connect the 2 USB cables to the USB connectors on the back of the RHR.
- Mount RHR and reinstall into Dash

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Install Complete

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-16-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

So What's New in the RHR from the previous MyGig RER???

- AAC compressed format playback in addition to WMA and MP3
- Adaptive voice learning
- Album art displayed from iPod and other USB devices
- Bluetooth™ advanced audio distribution
- Bluetooth™ streaming audio via A2DP (Report Control)
- Bluetooth Device HMI control (AVRCP1.4)
- Control devices via touch screen
- Conference call features & mute key added
- Dead reckoning
- Enhanced graphics/speed
- Extended playlist manager (file editor)
- Flash drive playback via USB ports
- Gracenotes Music Management "Play" functions
- ID3 TAG Editor for music list customization
- iPhone 4 compatibility (4.0/4.1)
- Junction view added for highway exits
- Mute & un-mute button added to voice control
- "My Trips" customizable route plans
- Optimized AM tuner
- Point of Interest (POI) search improvements
- Seamless voice tree
- SIRIUS Travel Link
- Split-screen capability
- Support up to 8 simultaneous devices (vs. 3 on the RER)
- Supports AAC, MP3, WMA from USB, CD, DVD, or HDD
- Synchronize up to 2 iPods & 2 MTP devices
- Two simultaneous video output sources
- World Tuner Support

USB - 2.0 port interface
USB - 2nd location added, supports headunit hub
USB - Copy only
USB - Device charge capability (1 amp max)
USB - Digital interface for iPod/iPhone & MTP devices (Play for Sure)
USB - Increased transfer rates (USB 2.0)
USB - Supports 8 simultaneous audio output sources (vs. 3 on RER)

Voice Command - Automatic Phonetic Transcription (G2P)
Voice Command - Destination input
Voice Command - Extended VR for most popular POI’s
Voice Command - Gracenote music files
Voice Command - Gracenote menu commands ("Play Beatles", "Play more like this")
Voice Command - Hang up/dial/receive calls/ignore calls
Voice Command - Improved POI search using fuzzy logic
Voice Command - Manual dialing pad via touch screen
Voice Command - Navigation
Voice Command - Phone, radio & music

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-04-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part number for the dual antenna is 05064910AA, as you stated, the 2011 JGC also works. The stock GPS WORKS for GPS if you remove the blue Fakra Housing but obviously you will not get Sirius. I also used the 2011 JGC antenna. Thanks for the write up.

Originally Posted by Rednroll
As mentioned there is a single SAT/GPS antenna connector. So the question you're probably going to ask next is, "How do I connect both my GPS antenna and SAT Antenna in my 2007-2010 JK to this single SAT antenna connector on the RHR radio?"

You have 2 options.....and here are your answers to doing each.

Option #1: (The easiest option) The Jeep Grand Cherokee is currently one of the 1st Chrysler vehicles that has the MyGIG RHR 730N radio as an option. So there must be a single antenna which is available that is able to receive GPS and SAT radio information and then connects to this single connector. So your easiest option is to buy one of these antennas. Currently, I have been searching Mopar's website and have not seen this part available for purchase.

Option #2: (The currently available, making a SAT/GPS combiner adapter)
......To BE CONTINUED.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by radside
The part number for the dual antenna is 05064910AA, as you stated, the 2011 JGC also works. The stock GPS WORKS for GPS if you remove the blue Fakra Housing but obviously you will not get Sirius. I also used the 2011 JGC antenna. Thanks for the write up.

Thank you!!! I was looking for that info for awhile on Mopar's website and came up empty. What was the price?

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-16-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Very nice write up! This will make it easier for others for sure.

If I remember correctly, the antenna about $80.

Thanks for the idea for the panel mounts. I was looking for a way to mount the USB port. I will probably use the Daystar lower dash panel and install the ports where the switches would normally go.

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thank you!!! I was looking for that info for awhile on Mopar's website and came up empty. What was the price?

Last edited by radside; 07-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks OP for the nice writeup.

I just put a RHR installed in my 08 Wrangler last week. It was plug and play. I was lucky as in my original radio was an RES with Sirius, so although I did not have the required dual Sirius/GPS antenna, I DID have the antenna cable already run from the factory. For those that do not know, the factory Sirius antenna is on top of the rollbar above and behind the passenger seat. So to swap antennas, one has to take your hardtop off or put down the soft top. Take down the speaker bar. Unzip the rollbar padding. Disconnect the Farka connector and unbolt the old antenna pod. Install new dual antenna pod... The part number for the dual antenna is 05064910AA. It is just a few millimeters larger than the original Sirius antenna, but it was a perfect fit.

Did not have to do a StarScan or any dealer involvement.

My wife an I each have iPhone 3GS's running IOS 4.2.1. The bluetooth works perfectly. We can place/receive calls. Bluetooth streaming of music works.

The only (very slightly, which I can overlook) annoyance, is that when the RHR turns on, it says RAM with the Dodge RAM logo (my used radio must have come from a 2011 Dodge RAM truck). Supposedly older RER radios would display the correct vehicle make/model. Perhaps the RHR doesn't know what to display because it was not originally intended for an early JK Wrangler. If anyone knows the fix for that slight issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

My next modification is to do like the OP, is to mount a couple of USB plugs. I will probably put one in the glove box and one near front side of the armrest of the center console, near the cup holder. It seems like I keep my iPhone in the cup holder most of the time. However I am not sure if I will go with mounting actual plugs like the OP, or just take a simpler route of just running the cable directly through a drilled hole protected by a rubber grommet. My thought is then I can take the cable and push it back up to the grommetted hole when I am not using it.