Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker CRV8 in factory subwoofer enclosure install.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranjr
is this a dual voice coil sub? How will you run it as 2 ohm or 1?
Yes, this is a 2 Ohm DVC. The CVR8 is available in 2 ohm or 4 ohm. The Kicker CVR8 is rated to 200 RMS and at 1ohm the amp will send up to 300RMS, at 2 ohm the amp sends 150 RMS, so i believe the 2 ohm load will be ideal for the subwoofer.

Last edited by aaron97; 02-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

So how are you running a DVC 2ohm sub at 2ohm on a mono amp? I would think you'd have to run it at 1ohm or 4ohm depending if it's wired series or parallel.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranjr
So how are you running a DVC 2ohm sub at 2ohm on a mono amp? I would think you'd have to run it at 1ohm or 4ohm depending if it's wired series or parallel.
You're right, dont know what i was thinking. I can only run the 2 ohm DVC in 1 ohm or 4 ohm. Forgive me, its been nearly 10 years since i last built a system so i am a little rusty.

So i am just going to wire to a 1 ohm load and turn the gain down on the amp.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

I've read on here before there are some amps that can screw up your electrical systems because if you use the stock amp location it is close to your computer. Not to sure about amps and subs ect. but I am also thinking about after market amps. Anyone know which amps are safe to put in the stock location? Is the punch ok to mount there? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKUJeeper
I've read on here before there are some amps that can screw up your electrical systems because if you use the stock amp location it is close to your computer. Not to sure about amps and subs ect. but I am also thinking about after market amps. Anyone know which amps are safe to put in the stock location? Is the punch ok to mount there? Thanks.
Well, for starters the PCM (computer) is no where near the stock amp location. The PCM is located under the hood up near the washer fluid reservoir. As for which amp you can run in that location? Well, i am only aware of two amps that fit (but i haven't really looked that hard and was only only looking for a 5 channel) and its the Alpine PDX-5 and the JL Audio XD700/5. Keep in mind though, putting an aftermarket amp in that space is not an easy task, you will have to fab up some kind of mounting brackets and its going to be very tight.

Just make sure you do your research. The way the JK stereo is set up really sucks. Its going to cost lots of money to get it right because of all the adaptors and stuff that it takes to get an aftermarket amp or head unit to work. This is why i said to hell with it, just upgraded the amp to the mopar Kicker option, changed out the speakers with better quality ones and stuffed poly-fil in all the enclosures. Now it sounds better than the stock Infinity system and good enough for me and i am just putting that little Rockford Fosegate PBR300X1 to get more kick from the subwoofer.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, i finally got around to installing it all... and i must say, Awesome! This little amp and 8" really pack a punch. I only have the gain set about 50% and it hits pretty hard. Not over the top, but enough that people on the side of the road turn to look. Out of everything i have done, this by far was the best improvement. I did plug the Infinity amp in just so that i could compare and its no comparison at all. The Kicker's mids and highs are much cleaner and louder then the Infinity. But if you just wanted more bass and you currently like the Infinity, then upgrading the sub/amp would be fine, just as long as you never hear how much better it will sound with the Kicker.

I was going to make a bracket, but i took the simple route. I pulled the cover off and strategically placed holes in places that i could put a screw without it being close to any of the components inside the stock amp. I probably should have took a picture of the inside but i forgot. Also, initially i thought that i needed to place the amp on the passenger side of the stock amp, but after a test fix, turns out the brake light switch was in the way, so i had to move the RF amp to the drivers side of the stock amp.

As you can see here, when placed on the side of the stock amp, closest to the door, it clears the brake-light switch. If you look hard, you can see the small piece of high-temp tape that used to cover the open hole from my first mounting attempt. Since i had to take all of this back apart to relocate the new holes, i took this chance to swap out my stub-washer-nut setup for a screw, to make more room for the connectors.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aaron97
Well, i finally got around to installing it all... and i must say, Awesome! This little amp and 8" really pack a punch. I only have the gain set about 50% and it hits pretty hard. Not over the top, but enough that people on the side of the road turn to look. Out of everything i have done, this by far was the best improvement. I did plug the Infinity amp in just so that i could compare and its no comparison at all. The Kicker's mids and highs are much cleaner and louder then the Infinity. But if you just wanted more bass and you currently like the Infinity, then upgrading the sub/amp would be fine, just as long as you never hear how much better it will sound with the Kicker.

I was going to make a bracket, but i took the simple route. I pulled the cover off and strategically placed holes in places that i could put a screw without it being close to any of the components inside the stock amp. I probably should have took a picture of the inside but i forgot. Also, initially i thought that i needed to place the amp on the passenger side of the stock amp, but after a test fix, turns out the brake light switch was in the way, so i had to move the RF amp to the drivers side of the stock amp.

As you can see here, when placed on the side of the stock amp, closest to the door, it clears the brake-light switch. If you look hard, you can see the small piece of high-temp tape that used to cover the open hole from my first mounting attempt. Since i had to take all of this back apart to relocate the new holes, i took this chance to swap out my stub-washer-nut setup for a screw, to make more room for the connectors.

Nice job!!! How did you wire this? Did you use the stock wiring to the sub? I know the EQ for the sub is set in the amp.... wonder if there's a way to get the signal before its filtered....
Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by upwings
Nice job!!! How did you wire this? Did you use the stock wiring to the sub? I know the EQ for the sub is set in the amp.... wonder if there's a way to get the signal before its filtered....
I spliced into the L/R Front Speakers on the stock amp's output side, that way it gets a full range of sound. The PBR300x1 has a built-in adjustable crossover and does the rest of the work. Then i cut the 4 stock subwoofer wires coming out of the amp (I left enough wire on the connector so that i can splice them back together if i need to). Then i took the 4 wires and divided them into groups of two and connected them to the PBR300X1's two wire output. I also did the same at the subwoofer, cut the 4 wires and ran them together as pairs. That make since? Basically, the two wires with white stripes became my (+) and the two wires with black stripes became my (-). Then i just used some wire i had left over from the install kit to bridge the voice coils on the sub to get a 1 ohm load (as shown in the above picture of Crutchfield Wiring Diagram).
Old 02-15-2012, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also just wanted to let yall know, we have been discussing this in another thread. The 77KICK46 is NOT the right amp for 2011+. One of the other members has come across a Kicker amp (77KCK056) and has ordered it and will see if it works properly. If you use the 77KICK46 amp in an '11+, you will lose the use of the subwoofer, Highs and Mids will improve greatly but bass becomes almost nonexistent. This is why i ended up going with the 8" CVR8 and RF amp, so i could gain back the bass i lost (and then some) by installing the Kick46. I'll post back about this when i hear the results of the 77KCK056.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

looks great...

Quick Reply: Kicker CRV8 in factory subwoofer enclosure install.