Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rear lighting mod

Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lighting mod

So recently, I added the OR-FAB sport cage to the front half of my Jeep. After doing so, I didn't like the rollbar padding, so I removed it from the rest of the Jeep (it was faded). After doing so, I noticed that the rear rollbar overhead light and housing looked a bit odd, so I removed them. They never really were that effective for the rear tub anyway. However, since I still had the parts, I decided to see if I could put a light in the rear tub that would be effective.
After thinking it over, I decided to put in in the vent on the tailgate. To take the light down, all it took was pulling the housing off of the rear rollbar, and pulling the tabs for the wiring, since it runs down the right rear anyway. I ran that wiring through the tailgate with the lock, where the third brake light used to run.
Cutting the shape in the vent only required tracing the hole from the housing that held the light on the rollbar. A coping saw and razor knife were used.

The light fits in the housing snug with no rattles.

After connecting the plug, it looks like this.
Flash.

No Flash.

With the gate open, the angle on the vent projects the light forward where you want it. It also lights up the ground at the bumper, which is good because the tow hitch likes to bite my shins pretty often. (pictures without flash)

This could likely be done with another light spliced into the rollbar light wiring with little effort.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Also, the push button functionality still works.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

great idea, me likey

Quick Reply: Rear lighting mod