Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Attention all clunky steering people

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attention all JK clunky steering wheel people

I know theres another thread for this somewhere,but I have confirmed someones elses finding on how the problem can be corrected without a new shaft.

The problem is in the "steering shaft".The slip joint that is used on Wranglers and many other applications uses 2 splined shaft that slide into one another.

I explained the problem to a shade tree mechanic I work with,he knew exactly what it was and explained my symptoms exactly.He said he had a cavalier that had the same type of shaft years back and experienced the same problem.Lack of grease between the splines or excesively worn splines are the problem.Since the wrangler is brand new ,I would expect a lack of grease.

He told me to use open gear compund(ALSO FITH WHEEL GREASE).Its a "high" tack grease that actually becomes thicker as its worked.(used in appliations where 2 gears intersect each other but are not able to be oiled due to size or configuration).I took some from our maintence shop at work and bought a small grease/oil syringe.

I took my shaft off yesterday while performing an oil change.It took less than 5 minutes.
Upon removal I notice a tiny bit of slop when I twisted the upper and lower portions of the shaft.Not much but enough to feel it through the steering wheel.I removed the upper clamp and inserted the grease syringe under the lip.I pumped the boot full of that black goop.I used a zip tie to secure the boot.

After the boot was secure.I worked the shaft to compression and back to full extension until it became very hard to slide them back and forth into each other.As I stated ,this open gear compound is very thick and has a high tack to it.You will know once its worked its way into the splines.I could not feel any slop betwen the shafts any more.

I reinstalled the shaft and Viola! No more clunky steering.A new steering shaft will probably cure the problem,but just greasing it solved mine.

I don't think regular grease will cut it,it might be ok but it will have to be done more often.

I hope this helps everyone.I've been trying to track this down for 2 months and I finally got it thanks to some hillbilly mechanic.

Last edited by Theresonlyonejeep; 07-14-2007 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dee7717 (04-23-2023)
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

I just wanted to update everyone on this solution to the dreaded clunk thats felt thru the steering wheel on many JK's.Its been over a week since I performed the mod and I still have no clunk present. I know it drove me nuts as it probably has for many of you.No worries the problem has been solved.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to try this on the weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes and take pics when I do it.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
agreed.... take picture of the thingies you took off... i is one of dem shade tree mechanics
Old 07-19-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

can the upper shaft be drilled and tapped for a zirk fittting?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

that is excellent

mine wasnt really bothering me, but would be nice to get rid of it, ill do it tonight after work

thanks again for being the gunea pig for this
Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mslc10
can the upper shaft be drilled and tapped for a zirk fittting?

I don't see why it can't be.I did not try to seperate the 2 shafts.I only removed one clamp and slid the boot down enough to pack it solid with grease.After I zip tied the boot,I worked the shaft until in and out until the grease forced its way through the splines into the upper shaft.

If I took both clamps off the boot,I might have found a way to seperate the two shafts,then I would have definitely drilled it for a zerk fitting.

In all reality,if you use the 5th wheel grease and reclamp the boot good,i don't ever see it needing relubed.That grease is like glue ,water and heat don't affect it much.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

did this yesterday and drove all day today with no clunk...woo hoo.....can't figure where the clunk comes from cuz my shaft had no slop at all but it was kinda "notchy" as the shaft slid into the other shaft...TOO F"IN KEWL!!!!! now to drill the tierods for zerks ......
Old 07-22-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKX
agreed.... take picture of the thingies you took off... i is one of dem shade tree mechanics
Yes, pictures will be much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Attention all clunky steering people