Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

TSB 18-036-06 is AWESOME!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB 18-036-06 is AWESOME!!!

I had my oil changed this morning and also complained about my few electrical problems, like the radio cutting off at low RPM's, a few crazy dash lights going on then off. I complained so that they would flash my chip, b/c of the TSB about it, and it is soooooooooooooooooo worth it!!! my JK unlimited has 33" tires, 3.21 gears and is 6 sp...

Before the flash:
Ran ok, never felt like i had enough power, was very slugish off the line, very slugesh at any rmp under about 2.8k Would stall a lot. very slow and slugish response when i give it gas..

After the flash:
Runs like a completely different vehicle!!
no slugishness, very responsive, not really more power, just more constant power, it seems i can keep from down shifting a tad more now, like some turns in my neighborhood, where i'd used to have to drop down to 1st to hit, now i can take in 2nd easily, and i even made one in 3rd with out it studdering.

I am so glad I got this done! if anyone has a JK built b4 Nov. 10th, they should have it flashed, it is a huge difference in how it rides, shifts, ecelerates etc... i'm so stoked!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Lag

What does flashing consist of? Is it reprograming the computer to a different setting? My 6 speed Sahara has power but I think there is a slight lag part of the time. Excelleration doesn't seem consistant. Do you think I have your same problem? My gas mileage has been good. Around 20 MPG.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

The TSB is from here http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Chrysler/...-06/index.html

it is 4 pages long. they basically hook your computer up and put updated software on it. if your rig was made b4 Nov. 10th, then you need this.

It did help with that inconsistent throttle response.

I'm not saying it give more power (although it may) i'm just saying it improves the performance greatly. much smoother now, as in more consistent gas getting to the engine. I couldn't be happier.

And if you are getting 20mpg, that is awesome!! I was getting around 15mpg b4 the flash, but i have larger much heavier rims and tires on, and no AirDam. and two big empty holes where my fog lights should be(I bought Kilby's stock rubicon bumper with no foglights so i could get the tow hooks).

hope that helps! and it can't hurt to get the updated software installed.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That sounds like a huge difference... I picked up my JK in late September, so I might give this a whirl even though I don't have many of the problems that you seemed to be experiencing. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, do they do this stuff automatically when you have a Jeep serviced at the dealer, or do you have to specifically say you're having problems?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I had to give them the TSB, i just printed it out and took it in, and also i had to say my battery light came on and stuff. So no they don't do it automatically, you have to say you have the symptoms listed on the TSB (hence me telling them my battery light came on). The flash is to solve problems, like the electrical ones, but the software itself has been updated, and that is what changes the response and stuff. but they would rather not have to spend the time if it's not causing any "problems" they could care less if you rig runs better, haha... so just say you have had some crazy electrical problems and have had the battery light come on, and tell them that you think the TSB 18-036-06 should fix it.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not exactly sure when mine was built, but it was delivered to the dealer on Nov 17th. I'll have to check in a bit.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

That sounds great, I need to look into it. I've had the radio cut out a couple of times and had an issue with stalling in the beginning which was a bit frustrating. I always thought it was strange that when I stalled, the ignition light never came on (or any of the other dash lights that come on when you first turn the key forward). Maybe it's part of the same problem?

Thanks for posting this!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

im in the exact same boat you are Bill, stalled a few times when i first got it, and the engine doesnt turn right away like it should when turning the key. It takes about a second or two for it to start to crank. I'll be going to the dealership soon.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

how long did it take for them to flash your puter?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

YOBUCK,

Thank you for posting this information! I'm calling my dealer right away!

Quick Reply: TSB 18-036-06 is AWESOME!!!