Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching to ARB 35 Spline - What is the real performance gain

Old 09-25-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to ARB 35 Spline - What is the real performance gain

I think the subject line lays it out. Why switch to the ARB 35 spline from a stock Rubi D44? How much stronger is it? What do you notice when on the trail?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe this can shed some light on your question.

//www.*********.com/news/new-35-spline-arb-for-jeep-jk-dana-44/[/url]

ok not sure why its not showing up

Last edited by captjay; 09-25-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Here it is: it is a night and day diference in strength

Seattle, June 2/ ARB 4×4 Accessories/ To meet the demand of off-roaders looking to strengthen their current axles without going to the expense and weight penalties of a larger axle assembly, ARB has just released the latest model in their Performance Air Locker Series. Designed for the new 2007 and newer Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Dana 44 housings, this new performance ARB Air Locker allows users to gain the axle strength they need from larger aftermarket 35 spline shafts and still retain their smaller, lighter Dana 44 assemblies.

Referred to as ARB part number RD157, this new Air Locker is designed to be installed with aftermarket 35 spline axle shafts which improve the torque range by about 30% over the stock 32 spline shafts that come installed in the JK Rubicon Dana 44. As with other ARB Air Locker models, the RD157 features ARB’s patented “timed” locking mechanism that optimizes the Air Locker’s internal gear mesh in the locked configuration and increases the unlocking speed all at the touch of a dash mounted switch. Complete with the proven steel reinforced, elastomer bonded annular seal, this Air Locker is designed to handle the most extreme climatic temperatures on earth.

Using the very latest in parametric solid modeling systems and analysis packages, ARB’s engineering team was able to perform comprehensive, live and virtual testing to develop a most impressive final product. The 35 spline, JK Wrangler Rubicon Dana 44 Air Locker is available through any ARB retailer by ordering ARB part number RD157.

Note: Requires aftermarket 35 axle shafts
Will only working in JK Rubicon Dana 44 housings
Will only work with JK Dana 44 gears sets

ARB Air Locker Features
- Provides 100% traction on demand without affecting on road drivability or driveline wear
- Vastly improved traction means less reliance on momentum, which reduces the likelihood of vehicle damage or environmental impact.
- Easy, convenient operation allows the user to concentrate on the terrain without leaving the comfort and safety of the driver’s seat.
- Ultra durable and extremely strong – only the highest quality materials used in construction.
- Incredibly simple yet effective design that employs minimal moving parts, thereby ensuring maximum reliability
- Thoroughly tested and proven design – trusted and used in over 80 countries around the world

Last edited by Robar; 09-26-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Mine is to be delivered on Monday and will be installed this week. The Local shop could not access these parts through their distributors. I called Quadratec and they had it in stock! I've been without my JEEP for 4 weeks... I'm going through withdrawals....
Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KenB1010
It doesn't look like ARB's a sponsor, looks like it's just a bad link. Try this one.

ww w.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/RD147_press.pdf
thanks for another link, but the one i posted was from *********, i even sent a pm to the OP and it did the same thing in that message too., thats why i think it might be blacklisted

just found this:

Why do some words I type show up as *****?
Companies, clubs, forums and organizations that have been blacklisted from JK-Forum.com will automatically be edited out by the forum software and will appear as **** if they are mentioned in a post or PM. Likewise, usernames of banned members will also show up as ****. Any attempts to circumvent the forum software by spelling these names phonetically, adding spaces and/or utilizing characters to represent certain letters of the alphabet will be considered to be an act of trolling.

hm good to know, but i cant believe that company is blacklisted. btw it was not arb i was posting

Last edited by captjay; 09-25-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by captjay
thanks for another link, but the one i posted was from *********, i even sent a pm to the OP and it did the same thing in that message too., thats why i think it might be blacklisted
hahahah yep , gota be blacklisted, i cant even type just the name of the site
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say a qualified...maybe.

The ARB is a great addition. It is durable and, when INSTALLED correctly, is a valuable addition. The axle shaft issue, however, should be discussed.

Currently, the only axle offering (retaining stock outers) is RCV. The 35 spline axle shaft is only 35 spline diameter for the about last 6". The balance is the same as a 30 spline shaft. The CV portion is the same as a 44 and the outer is still the standard 32 spline RCV shaft. So the question here is - What are we gaining? We're gaining a great locker that will fit to replace the factory Rubi locker. The RCV axles are also a great addition. Are we getting a true 35 spine system..no way.

Another disadvantage is you can't use a axle tube internal sleeve. The I.D. of the tube won't allow the axle to fit. You can still use an external sleeve.

Adding an ARB to a Rubi housing could be the right choice for many. However, don't expect Dana 60 axle strength just because you have a 35 spline locker.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I was just thinking about this for a front axle (since that's where I hear more about the RD157) but it can also, obviously, be done in a rear axle.

I should have asked which axle you planned for your application, front or rear?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I guess I was just thinking about this for a front axle (since that's where I hear more about the RD157) but it can also, obviously, be done in a rear axle.

I should have asked which axle you planned for your application, front or rear?
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the front and rear. Sounds like it might be a good idea for the front but that you may as well add a 60 to the rear and that's only necessary if you are moving to 37 plus tires and really doing heavy wheeling. Is that correct?

I am not very mechanical and I am relatively new to modified jeeps. I don't like that I have to be in 4 low to engage my lockers. More than that I don't like how the stock Rubicon lockers don't engage and disengage immediately. It takes a few feet, as I am sure you are aware. As you may have noticed from my post I have also had a few issues with the stock lockers. I think the problems were related to improper re-installation when I had my gears replaced. I am still pondering the addition of ARB lockers but think I need to do that if and when I change axles.

I think you have helped me make a decision. After reading your response i think I have a few other mods and need to determine if I really think rock crawling is something I am going to do more often to justify the expense of a D60. Although I have not looked into the cost of a D60. Do you have an opinion on the benefit of the cost difference between the D44 with 35 spline and just moving to a D60 in the rear?

Last edited by JKChuck; 09-27-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Another disadvantage is you can't use a axle tube internal sleeve. The I.D. of the tube won't allow the axle to fit. You can still use an external sleeve.
I have the Dana 30 ARB with the Evolution shafts. I also have the Dana 30 sleeved and gusseted. It all fits nicely. Is the Superior shafts for the Dana 44 ARB that much thicker?

Quick Reply: Switching to ARB 35 Spline - What is the real performance gain