Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Light Wiring Help

Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Light Wiring Help

I know this has been discussed numerous times but I have a question with pictures. I have a JK X without fog lights and I got a JK bumper with fog lights that I want to install. Below are three pictures of a cable that terminates on the front of the jeep near where fog lights would be installed. Is this for the fog lights or is it for something else. Also, is there somewhere you can get a wire diagram or color codes for wiring on the JKs. Both inside and outside wires.

I circled the cable in question in yellow.

Terminated cable end. This terminator has a number on it #2926 or #2925. The two cables as I think you can see in the picture are purple and purple/grey.

Picture of the connector.

I hope someone can help with identifying this cable. If it is not the fog light cable then I will install the fog lights like others have with a separate switch and power lead.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

I believe the cable of which you have pictured is for the temp sensor.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

i haven't figured out what that is yet, but it is definitely not for the foglights.

if your jk did not come with foglights from the factory, then wiring for them is not there. you have to add the wiring yourself.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by BaltChief
I believe the cable of which you have pictured is for the temp sensor.
^^^^ What he said.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default ? ? ? ? ?

has anyone used the jumpers wires on Quadratec to add lights on the bumper, but still use the ones in the bumpers on the JK?

I am curious about them.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjs2008sahara
has anyone used the jumpers wires on Quadratec to add lights on the bumper, but still use the ones in the bumpers on the JK?

I am curious about them.

??? What jumper wires?

Mopar sells extensions for the factory fog light harness if you move the factory fogs (that part is about $20). All it is, is an extension chord.
Adding this will just allow you to move the lights around the bumper, not add higher wattage ones. This will only work with the same wattage bulbs as those from the factory.

You cannot use the factory fog light harness alone to power up higher wattage lights, you'll trip the circuit. If you use an aftermarket light, it must be the same or less wattage as the factory fog light for you to wire to the existing harness for power. (i believe it is 55W maximum, someone correct me please if i am wrong)

That being said, you CAN however, use the power wire from the factory fogs to trip a relay that sends power to higher wattage lights. This is exactly what i did. I added KC fog lights in lieu of the stockers, and tapped the power lead for the stock passenger front fog light to trip the relay for the KC's. This way they work with the factory stalk switch.

Edit: Oh yeah, btw, everyone is right, the cable you circled is the temperature sensor for your dash display.

I dont know all the wiring colors everywhere in the Jeep, someone with the FSM functioning would need to look those up for you. I can however tell you the factory foglight leads: Passenger side hot (with stalk switch) is White/Red stripe, Driver's Side hot is White/Yellow stripe. I dont know what good that will do you though, i dont think those wires are there if you didnt get the fogs from the factory.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
??? What jumper wires?

Mopar sells extensions for the factory fog light harness if you move the factory fogs (that part is about $20). All it is, is an extension chord.
Where do you buy the fog light extension cord?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
??? What jumper wires?

Adding this will just allow you to move the lights around the bumper, not add higher wattage ones. This will only work with the same wattage bulbs as those from the factory.

You cannot use the factory fog light harness alone to power up higher wattage lights, you'll trip the circuit. If you use an aftermarket light, it must be the same or less wattage as the factory fog light for you to wire to the existing harness for power. (i believe it is 55W maximum, someone correct me please if i am wrong)

That being said, you CAN however, use the power wire from the factory fogs to trip a relay that sends power to higher wattage lights. This is exactly what i did. I added KC fog lights in lieu of the stockers, and tapped the power lead for the stock passenger front fog light to trip the relay for the KC's. This way they work with the factory stalk switch.

Edit: Oh yeah, btw, everyone is right, the cable you circled is the temperature sensor for your dash display.

I dont know all the wiring colors everywhere in the Jeep, someone with the FSM functioning would need to look those up for you. I can however tell you the factory foglight leads: Passenger side hot (with stalk switch) is White/Red stripe, Driver's Side hot is White/Yellow stripe. I dont know what good that will do you though, i dont think those wires are there if you didnt get the fogs from the factory.

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't 100% sure. I was thinking that the higher wattage would be a major issue, but you never know.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:22 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Jamooche
Where do you buy the fog light extension cord?

Thanks!

Any dealership can order it for you.

"Installation kit is a wiring extension allow relocation of Fog Lights to a Mopar Brushguard (97-06 Wrangler) or Off-Road / Winch Bumper or Tubular bumper lamps for 07+ Wrangler

Part # 82210549
Name: Lights, Fog Light Installation KitsJumper Harness
Description: Connects production fog lamp wiring to bullet style Mopar Fog Lamps. 18 long. Used when installing Mopar bumpers in place of production fog light equipped bumpers.
Price: $22.00"
Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by tjs2008sahara
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't 100% sure. I was thinking that the higher wattage would be a major issue, but you never know.
You are correct, they are. It is to much current draw for the stock wiring and the circuit protection will kick in. This question actually comes up rather often, and is understandably confusing. If you are adding fogs, relays are really the best way to handle it anyhow.

I have plans of 3 sets on mine.

1. KC fogs which are already in place and wired to work off of the factory stalk switch. (will only function with lowbeams, trip off when highs are activated. ~ as per NYS law)
2. Driving lights on the front bumper or bar, undecided on exact location, but definetly in front of the grill. (these will be wired to only come on when the switch is on, and with the highbeams activated~ as per NYS law)
3. Long Range spots on the A-Pillars. (these will also be wired to only come on when the switch is on, and with the highbeams activated~ as per NYS law)

I am in very close proximity to a lot of legislators and LEO supervisory types of the asshole persuasion very often in my job. The appearance and functional proof of legality is a must.
I cant tell you how many times they have cited me for the knobbies on my enduro that i ride to work a lot in the summertime, and they ARE DOT labeled knobbies. fully street legal. They give me a ticket, i ride straight over to the precinct house, show them the bike, let them read the side of the friggen tire themselves, and have the ticket dropped. I have had to appear in court three times because one of them wont drop tickets, so i go in and plead not guilty, then show the prosecuter the bike, then HE dismisses it and yells at the cop, who does it all over again, and again... That guy is such an ass, i dont know why he has it in for me, i guess i urinated in his cheerios or something in a past life.
They just LOOK for things to nail you on around here.

It would be very easy to wire in a second hotwire to turn on the relay(s) from another switch located somewhere out of immediate view that would allow them to function independently of the main lighting controls so that i can turn them all on whenever i want ~ as per MY law. not that i would do such a thing...

Quick Reply: Fog Light Wiring Help