Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My new stereo install (non-Infinity): Alpine IVA-W205

Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My new stereo install (non-Infinity): Alpine IVA-W205

My new stereo install (non-Infinity): Alpine IVA-W205:

1. The flat top panel above the radio pops out from the front (by windshield); it pops up from the back and then pulls toward you

2. Bottom blank panel piece in front of the shifter pops out (clips on the top)

There are metal "clips" that hold the various panels in place. These "clips" can "pop" off the panel and remain in the dash. Be careful to retain the clips, and/or remember to "fish" them out from the dash before re-installing.

3. Remove the 7mm screws from behind both previously removed parts

4. Pop off the whole dash from top to bottom , its all one piece (once again, there are numerous metal clips used to retain the dash panel - be careful not to lose these.)

5. Take out 4 (7mm) bolts that hold the deck to the dash

6. Dash cavity: stock wiring harness & antenna connector

7. Aftermarket wiring harness: METRA XSVI-6522

The install instructions note that the Jeep vehicles do not have 12-volt accessory wires currently in the factory harness. The XSVI-6522 is supposed to be designed to provide a 12-volt, 10-amp switched accessory output along with the rest of the wires needed to install an aftermarket radio. THe R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) function, where power is supplied to the radio after the ignition is shut off until one of the front doors are opened, is retained by the XSVI-6522.

However, during my install, the 12-volt accessory wire from the XSVI-6522 did NOT work. I had to tap into the power lead to the power-outlet (cig lighter) that is positioned on the LEFT (driver) side of the dash. This power-outlet is ONLY powered when the keys are in the ignition -- this is what the RED wire is suppose to supply on the Metra harness.

8. Antenna adapter (as supplied by Crutchfield.com) METRA 40-EU10 European. (The Scorsche one that I had purchased that stated it was for 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK, did NOT fit. This one from Crutchfield.com did. <-- You have got to appreciate the free install materials from Crutchfield.com!)

9. The Alpine IVA-W205 head unit

10. Since the head unit is larger than the stock unit, some modification to the cavity area is necessary. (This is not for the faint of heart to do yourself. However, I found that I only had to remove a small portion of the crossbar located in the back of the cavity area.)

11. Crossbar removed with a Saws-all

12. Interior / dash panel / stereo cavity

13. New stereo installed.

The new system (new speakers were installed the week prior) sounds better, and works marvelous. The iPod connects through the rear of the head unit (iPod is stashed away in the glovebox). The DVD bypass switch works like a charm (that install was not shown). And the removable (dock-n-roll) Blackbird II navigation unit fits inside the head unti and works great. (Don't make my mistake: the navigation antenna has a magnet, and if installed to close to the compass unit under the top dash panel, your Jeep's compass will only read the direction that the navigation antenna sits in relation to the compass (in my case, East.)

I will say, with the double-din head unit, the two wiring harnesses ((Jeep -> Metra -> aftermarket stereo)), along with all the excess wire, fuses, connectors, antennas, etc., the stereo cavity gets quite croweded.

Anyhow, very pleased with the results.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent Write Up.

What advantages do you see with the Alpine in (beside the previously stated better sound) as well as GPS and Video Screen

Are there any disadvantages that you've noticed?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

How do you like this unit? I've been thinking about upgrading to it.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
Excellent Write Up.

What advantages do you see with the Alpine in (beside the previously stated better sound) as well as GPS and Video Screen

Are there any disadvantages that you've noticed?
The sound processor in the Alpine is far superior to that of the non-Infinity (stock) system (I have never listen to the upgraded Infinity system, so I don't know how it compares to that system (I imagine the Alpine is still better.)

Really, my biggest desire for a new stereo was full iPod control from the head unit (with the connection through the rear (no wire coming out the front), and "hiding" my iPod out-of-sight). I had the Alpine iDA-X001 in my last Porsche, and the direct controlability was great. However, the iDA-X001 is a single din unit. As I started researching double-din units, I came across the IVA-W205. A client of mine who has installed car stereos for numerous celebrities said that in his opinion, the IVA-W205 had one of the best sound processors on the market.
But, I think the selling point (because the iPod controls on the IVA-W205 are not as good as on the iDA-X001) is the "dockable" navigation unit (the Blackbird PMD-B200, Portable Navigation System). It docks inside the head unit, and comes with a mount so I can use it in the wife's vehicle, if needed.
Of course, it plays DVDs, but honestly, that is not really a big deal to me (I am not going to tell my two young sons that it plays movies, because they will never look out the windows then.)

I suppose a disadvantage would be that it is more attactive to thieves. However, since I did the install myself, I have a better understanding of how the unit is "bolted" in (rather than many car stereos that slide into a sleave), I feel confident that it will stay put. Then again, the Jeep is garaged at night, and does have an aftermarket alarm system, too.

Originally Posted by Aolec
How do you like this unit? I've been thinking about upgrading to it.
So far it is great. Controlling the iPod is not real intuitive, so that took some time to figure out (actually had to read the owners manual), but it is great so far.
The Pulse-Touch on the head unit is pretty trick (the touch screen pulses back when you touch it, giving you "feedback," as if you pushed a button.)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Hello, I have an Alpine w-505. The dimensions are the same as the w-205 that you installed. Great post on the install, I was a little worried about having to cut the insides of the dash to make the unit fit, but not any more ! I was curious as to how you "bolted" the unit into the dash. Also what type of dash insert did you use to clean up the area around the face of the unit. Thanks !
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Junkie

Great Write up! I like it Alpine does make the best head units IMO
Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kethridge
Hello, I have an Alpine w-505. The dimensions are the same as the w-205 that you installed. Great post on the install, I was a little worried about having to cut the insides of the dash to make the unit fit, but not any more ! I was curious as to how you "bolted" the unit into the dash. Also what type of dash insert did you use to clean up the area around the face of the unit. Thanks !

I don't quite remember where I got the side "filler" pieces, I went to a lot of stereo shops and looked on the Internet quite a bit looking for all the pieces I needed. I think I got those filler pieces on the Internet somewhere. I will try and remeber to look through my JK Radio Install file see if I can locate a site.

As a matter of fact, my stereo is hanging out of the dash right now. I believe that the "filler" pieces bolt to the Head Unit, and then the "filler" pieces bolt into the original stereo mounting holes. In the photo below, you can see the "filler" piece sitting to the right of the HU.

I am actually thinking of upgrading to the Alpine IVA-W505 (I like the graphics on the unit better; and I am stilling having problems with my Blackbird II unit when it is docked inside my W205.)

Did you get the Blackbird II GPS unit as well?

Ty...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up. Looks good. You get +1 karma today.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are all double din headunits that long or are some shorter than the others? I'd like to get a new radio but don't really want to cut out all that metal. Also, are you getting any rattles with that piece removed?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d0wnShifT
Are all double din headunits that long or are some shorter than the others? I'd like to get a new radio but don't really want to cut out all that metal. Also, are you getting any rattles with that piece removed?
Most are that long from what I've seen. If you have any rattles, it should be easy enough to put some foam or something else in to eliminate them.

Quick Reply: My new stereo install (non-Infinity): Alpine IVA-W205