Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ESP Flash To Disable

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash To Disable ESP

Has anyone had their ESP disabled by the dealership? I'm taking mine in on Saturday. Here is the TSB info:

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_05-001-08.pdf

NUMBER: 05-001-08
GROUP: Brakes
DATE: January 18, 2008

SUBJECT:
Electronic Stability Control Disable Feature For Modified 4WD Vehicles

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Anti-Lock Brake/Electronic Stability Module (ABS), the Cabin Control Node (CCN), and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) with new software. Once these modules have been reprogrammed (flashed), a sequence of steps will be required to disable or enable the vehicle Electronic Stability Program (ESP).

MODELS:
2007 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to Four Wheel Drive (4WD) vehicles.

DISCUSSION:
Vehicles modified with larger tires and/or suspension lifts may experience early Electronic Stability Program (ESP) activations as compared to a non-modified production vehicle depending on lift size/height, tire size, suspension changes and/or driving habits.

If early ESP activations are experienced while driving with a modified vehicle, the additional ability to permanently turn off ESP is available. This ESP permanently disable feature can be obtained once the ABS, CCN, and TIPM modules have been flashed / reprogrammed with the correct level of software, as described in the Repair Procedure.

After completing reprogramming of the modules, an ignition switch, steering wheel and ESP button maneuver must be performed to permanently disable ESP and to turn off the functionality of the ESP switch. Once the ESP system is placed into permanent disable
mode, the ESP Telltale will be illuminated in the instrument cluster, and the vehicle odometer will display a “ESP OFF” message. The ESP permanent disable feature DOES NOT disable the vehicle Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) or the Brake Assist System (BAS), when the feature is implemented per this Service Bulletin Repair Procedure.

Repeating the ESP permanent disable maneuver procedure will return the system to normal ESP operation and restore ESP switch functionality allowing for ESP ”Full”, “Partial”, or “Off” modes.

Last edited by SH0RTBUS; 01-24-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Default I need

I have to schedule my jeep right away!!! This is awesome. I was calling it a critical flaw with design but see they are all over it. obviouly they kept a offroader on staff. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

It's great to see Jeep not forgetting the loyalists who need this ESP feature for our modified JKs. I'm a bit surprised!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

I like how it keeps your BAS for offroading..

I wont be taking mine in. I really like the feature
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its not a permanent disable you can turn it on and off when you want with the crazy Nintendo code lol. You also still retain the ABS and BAS features when esp is disabled.

4 low is not a problem for me neither but 4 hi is useless in mud/sand with esp even in the off position cause the electronic limited slip still tries to keep both tires going at the same speed on the same axle and in a very slick situation will slow each side down until practically stopped.

See this thread for more info on whats going on with me and a few others with this update.

Start from post 120 and read on

Last edited by JKmike07; 01-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think dealer should do this for free, it is obvious that there is a problem. I tried to climb a sand hill at the beach and the tires started to spin and then it felt like someone put on all four brakes. I gas it and the jeep did not move.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

also if they fixed it on the 08's then they must have realized a probem.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Angry

Just got back from the dealer.

STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smack2020
I think dealer should do this for free, it is obvious that there is a problem. I tried to climb a sand hill at the beach and the tires started to spin and then it felt like someone put on all four brakes. I gas it and the jeep did not move.
I did the same thing in the mud last night. It scared the crap out of me, I thought I was stuck.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. T
ESP still kicks in?
I'm pretty sure the flash didn't work. I've tried the "maneuver" several times.

Quick Reply: ESP Flash To Disable