Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Walmart Synthetic Oil

Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walmart Synthetic Oil

I visited a Walmart store and noticed they had synthetic engine oil. Checked the specs from brand to brand and it seemed to have the same specs. as was on the other name synthetic brands of oils. What is your opinion of this oil? Who makes it for Walmart? Has anyone given it a try?

Thanks bunches!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

On an oil forum that I frequent, it shows pretty good on used oil analyses. Sometimes, though, you can get Pennzoil Platinum 2 for 1 at different auto stores. It seems to give the most consistently good results, though.

I'm running Mobil 1 5w20 for now, but ran Quaker State synthetic 5w 20 at my first oil change.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep08ham
I visited a Walmart store and noticed they had synthetic engine oil. Checked the specs from brand to brand and it seemed to have the same specs. as was on the other name synthetic brands of oils. What is your opinion of this oil? Who makes it for Walmart? Has anyone given it a try?

Thanks bunches!
As i recall the Walmart brand is Super Tech, and is currently manufactured by Pennsoil or Quaker State. As for the specs, I assume you're talking about the API. At any rate, any oil that meets or exceeds the API would be OK to use.
Most synthetic oils are pretty much the same. The biggest difference in oils from manufacture to manufacture is the additives they use. In addition some use a better base stock and have a more refined synthetic process. I would have to believe if Walmart is branding their own oils, they are getting them from the lowest bidding major oil maker.
I have not tried the Walmart brand, but rather have been using Mobil1 for about 14 years now, and will stay there.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things about synthetic oil coming from someone who has used and seen it used a good bit. 1) (..and I'm sure yall have heard this one) Do not immediately change a new vehicle's oil over to synthetic. The rings will never seat correctly, because the oil has too good a lubricating quality. You must run the engine in on carbon based oil first. 2) Changing over to synthetic oil often sees oil leaks that did not occur with carbon based oil. The flow quality of synthetic oil really IS that good. I have seen both of these instances occur, so I know first hand. I don't use or recommend any changes that I cannot feel in the seat of my pants, and I don't care who you are, you ain't gonna feel the difference between carbon based oil VS synthetic oil. No way, no how. Only place you'll see the difference is on a dyno. I know that the synthetic can be changed much less frequently, but for me, it's just not worth the additional cost. As long as the oil is the correct weight and has the correct API certification, brand is of no consequence other than personal preference. Oil is just like batteries, anti-freeze and gasoline. Ain't but a few companies out there that actually MAKE the stuff. So that means whatever oil you get is probably a name brand, even if it's Wal Mart oil.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt use anything that had a walmart brand on it. probably made in some lousy country... maybe using the piss of a 8 year old chinese sweatshop worker, on his 18 hour shift break... Or those might just be stories.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

No way am I going to spend $30000+ on a JK and then find the cheapest, most questionable oil at the most questionable sweatshop supporter. I make enough to pay the .50 difference between good and horrible.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Two things about synthetic oil coming from someone who has used and seen it used a good bit. 1) (..and I'm sure yall have heard this one) Do not immediately change a new vehicle's oil over to synthetic. The rings will never seat correctly, because the oil has too good a lubricating quality. You must run the engine in on carbon based oil first. 2) Changing over to synthetic oil often sees oil leaks that did not occur with carbon based oil. The flow quality of synthetic oil really IS that good. I have seen both of these instances occur, so I know first hand. I don't use or recommend any changes that I cannot feel in the seat of my pants, and I don't care who you are, you ain't gonna feel the difference between carbon based oil VS synthetic oil. No way, no how. Only place you'll see the difference is on a dyno. I know that the synthetic can be changed much less frequently, but for me, it's just not worth the additional cost. As long as the oil is the correct weight and has the correct API certification, brand is of no consequence other than personal preference. Oil is just like batteries, anti-freeze and gasoline. Ain't but a few companies out there that actually MAKE the stuff. So that means whatever oil you get is probably a name brand, even if it's Wal Mart oil.
You do know that JK's come from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic right? Or at least that's the word.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Black08X
You do know that JK's come from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic right? Or at least that's the word.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with you both...I was only stating the FACT that the oil is made by only one of like four or five MAJOR companies. I prefer Valvoline, myself. The reason (as stupid as it sounds) is that the color of Valvoline is lighter than most other oils. I just have it in my mind that it takes longer to get dirty. LOL I have always had good luck with Valvoline, though.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep

Actually, the main reason for leaks is that synthetic is very high in detergent, and therefore tends to clean the seals, some of which are rotted due to the carbon build up on them. This happens mainly when the engine has been neglected for enough time that the seals, underneath all that crud, have become brittle. Once the carbon has been cleaned off the seals, since thay are no longer plyable, they allow leakage.
Has nothing to do directly with flow quality, as viscosity is viscosity whether in terms of synthetic or dino. 5/20 weight dino has the same flow rate as 2/20 synthetic. The lubricating property is better in synthetic because the molecular structure is more precise. A good example would be marbles. Dino oil is like marbles that are somewhat the same size, however there are some marbles that are larger and some that are smaller. Some even have chips in them. Synthetic is like marbles that are mostly all the same size, with very few larger or smaller, and even less chips.

Let me add. Synthetic oils are better then dino in the event of temperature changes, in that the viscocity index has a much tighter tolerance. Again this is due to the molecular structure of the oil, and therefore it has a tighter bond with less chance of seperation.

Last edited by Lorrel; 02-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Walmart Synthetic Oil