Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash rattle?? Coming from Defroster area??

Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash rattle?? Coming from Defroster area??

Ok, I have a new rattle and it is coming from the defroster area. It does it when the vehicle is cold. I have traced it to that part because I can make it stop by turning on the heat and blowing it out of the defroster for a little while.

It seems that once the "part" is heated the rattle stops. I think it might be a lose blend door or something close to it.

Has anyone experienced this or fixed this issue?

I already fixed the plastic thing on top of the wiper motor and this is not it.

Anyone?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Ok, I have a new rattle and it is coming from the defroster area. It does it when the vehicle is cold. I have traced it to that part because I can make it stop by turning on the heat and blowing it out of the defroster for a little while.

It seems that once the "part" is heated the rattle stops. I think it might be a lose blend door or something close to it.

Has anyone experienced this or fixed this issue?

I already fixed the plastic thing on top of the wiper motor and this is not it.

Anyone?
I'm at a loss if you've already fixed the metal piece that sits under the wipers. That's what mine is doing ... *rattle rattle* ... I need to take it apart and put some insulation there. I reached my arm out the window when it was rattling and pressed down on the outside panel and it stopped.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have smething similar:
At idle rpm there is a rattling coming from somewhere around the stereo/heating knob area. Was not yet able to identify the exact spot. (Always wear ear protections at the shooting range!)
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hood Cowling

There was a thread on the Hood Cowl fix back some time... had good pics...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/squeaking-dash-noise-cured-3743/

Sounds like you've determined it's inside however. I will add though that mine rattled less when hot, but it was the hood cowl heating up that stopped it. I did this fix and it worked for me.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mmmmm... gonna check that cowl anyhow!

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

I have a rattle/noise coming from either defrost area or what sounds like behind the radio. It happens mostly when I am going driving over small bumps. I haven't messed with the cowl yet.

The noise I hear sounds like plastic parts rubbing together; ineterestingly it has gotten warmer in St. Louis the pat few days and I haven't heard it as much.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

I had a rattle behind my dash and found out it was a bottle cap.....yep, I had sat one on my dash while driving and it apparently fell behind the dash and was sliding around back there.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

I have that rattle that sounds like it is just behind the radio too. Hood cowl fix didn't work for me. I even removed the wipers, cowl and plastic piece and test drove it - still rattled. Still searching for the source. The cause could be someplace else, and the sound being transmitted to that area.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by priell3
I have that rattle that sounds like it is just behind the radio too. Hood cowl fix didn't work for me. I even removed the wipers, cowl and plastic piece and test drove it - still rattled. Still searching for the source. The cause could be someplace else, and the sound being transmitted to that area.
This sounds like mine. I am thinking it is a blend door in the A/C unit. I can get it to stop making the noise if I turn it to defrost and turn the heat all the way up for a little while. I can then turn it back to a/c and change where the air comes out and there is not a rattle.

Just hoping someone had found a solution. I already did the cowl fix that was a good one.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

Reviving an old thread in hopes that someone has found the source of this noise. It's driving me nuts...

Quick Reply: Dash rattle?? Coming from Defroster area??