Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Ever since my last off road adventure I have this annoying noise and clunk in my steering column. I can only feel and hear it at slower speeds while driving around town. It feels as if something is loose in the steering mechanism or front suspension...?

I pulled the steering stabilizer and drove it around town, the noise did NOT go away. I went thru every nut and bolt in both the front and rear suspension, everything was tight. I checked all the bolts in the steering mechanism, including the bolts that hold the steering box onto the frame, everything was tight there.

What the heck!?!?! The only thing I can figure now is something is loose internally in the steering box? Or possibly a bad shock?

The weirdest thing is when the Jeep is COLD it doesn't seem to be there!

Does anyone else have this problem....?

Thanks~
Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I have this exact problem ever since I was in Lake Tahoe two weekends ago where the only kind of off-nominal driving I did was a little bit of creative parking when we realized that the cabin we rented hadn't been plowed out yet.

Basically, it's a very subtle rattle that is not always there/noticeable, but very annoying (as you say) when it is. I have noticed that when I'm stopped, foot on the brake, pointed uphill or downhill slightly and I wiggle the wheel from side to side (but not even enough to turn the tires) I can really notice it.

I was hoping to read up in the shop manual about steering box adjustment (if that's even possible -- I can do it on my 1973 BMW, which is my only real point of reference) or possibly taking it in to the dealer to look at. Your experience does not give me a lot of hope though... My concern is that it's pretty subtle and I'm worried that they'll just look at me like I'm nuts.

I'll be replacing many of the suspension components (incl. the track bar) when I get my FT ultimate lift (whenever they finally start shipping), but I agree this feels like a steering issue, so I don't have a lot of confidence that will get rid of the problem.

Let me know if you have any other ideas... I'd love to figure it out...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh noooo.that is one of the reasons i hated my2003 grand cherokee...I would take it to dealer and make them compare it to one on the lot. They will give some bs that the one on the lot doesn't do it because it is new...well I bought a new vehicle should be your answer. Then they will reply well as things get mileage on them ,things start to wear out...well find whatever is worn out and replace it shold be your answer. I had 2 cherokess and one grand and I do believe the noise that I had was in the steering box , but could not get anyone to agree to fix it.....good luck and keep us posted....
Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default steering knock

I just started noticing the same thing. Never been off-road. Notice it around town and slower speeds. Very annoying. I will be taking it in within the next week to have it serviced. Keep me posted on what you find out. I have about 2,500 miles on my JK
Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

mmccurdy,

You described it perfectly. It's subtle, but annoying.

I know the dealer would have NO idea, that's just how they are.

I do notice it get noticably worse when it's hot which is strange to me :confused: Maybe the fluid in the steering box gets warm making the problem more noticable. I did see there is an adjustment on the top of the box, but I don't have a manual to see what the setting is....?

You are right though, I just wiggle the wheel and feel and hear a clunk, clunk, clunk.

Do you notice it gets worse when your Jeep is hot? I can barely notice it when I first start driving in the morning, but by the time I get to work its very noticable.

Husky~
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Okay, so here's a bunch of stuff from the service manual on this issue. It's in a big table of "how to diagnose Noise, Vibration and Harshness issues." The first number is the suspected cause, and the second one is what to do about it.

Interestingly, there is a note at the bottom of the table that says this:

NOTE: ** A light clunk may be felt or heard during steering wheel reversal while vehicle is stationary. This results from internal steering gear rack movement at the bushings and in no way affects the performance of the steering system. This movement may be felt in the steering components during steering wheel reversal.

Okay, and here's the info from the table:

RATTLE OR EXCESSIVE CLUNK**
1. Power steering gear loose on engine cradle/crossmember.
1. Check fastener torque and tighten to specifications. Replace as necessary. Check steering wheel center following repair.

2. Loose strut assembly mounting fasteners at tower or knuckle.
2. Check fastener torque and tighten to specifications.

3. Excessive play in outer tie rod.
3. For evaluation and correction, (Refer to 19 - STEERING/LINKAGE/TIE ROD END - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

4. Engine cradle/crossmember mounting fasteners loose at frame or bushings worn.
4. Check fastener torque and tighten to specifications. Inspect bushings and repair as necessary.

5. Wheel Mounting (Lug) nuts loose.
5. Inspect wheel mounting (Lug) nuts and studs and repair as necessary. Tighten nuts to specifications.

6. Power steering hose touching the body or frame of vehicle.
6. For evaluation and correction, (Refer to 19 - STEERING/PUMP - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

7. Stabilizer bar link joints worn (occurs with steering input only when moving, not stationary).
7. At park, jounce only one side of vehicle front to exercise stabilizer bar. Replace stabilizer bar link.

8. Loose lower control arm mounting bolts at engine cradle, frame or crossmember (occurs with steering input only when moving, not stationary).
8. Check control arm mounting bolts and tighten to specified torque.

9. Loose intermediate shaft or column.
9. Rotate intermediate (steering) shaft in relationship to gear, checking for free-play. Check column fasteners and tighten to specifications as necessary.

10. Lower control arm pivot bushing worn (occurs with steering input only when moving, not stationary).
10. Inspect bushings for wear and replace lower control arm as necessary.

11. Internal power steering gear noise.
11. Drive vehicle on rough road, then steer rapidly back and forth when stopped. Replace power steering gear as necessary.

12. Loose inner tie rod.
12. For evaluation and correction, (Refer to 19 - STEERING/LINKAGE/TIE ROD END - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

13. Damaged engine cradle/crossmember.
13. Inspect the cradle/crossmember for cracks or other damage. Replace as necessary.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure If I have the same problem or not, but I do have a slight noise/clunk but mine is coming from inside of the steering column. I sounds like some of the plastic junk in there is catching and it has done it since day 1 but it has not been important enough to me to bother getting it looked at. I figure what ever it is will eventually wear down enough that it will stop.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks very much for posting this MMCCURDY! Where did you find this information? You must have the CD's?

Anyway, the "Note" is very interesting, I wonder if that's what we're experiencing? I will check the other items that I haven't already checked, one being the power steering hose rubbing the steering column. If I find anything I will for surely post it. If I don't I guess I'll just wait and see if it gets worse. It is SO annoying though.

I had a 1969 Mustang when I was younger, boy did I love that car, but it had the same stupid annoying clunk in the steering column. That was the one thing I hated about that car. This is bringing back bad memories

husky~
Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I have to agree.... It does get worse with heat. Whether it is due to heat from use or heat from ambient air.

It is a very slight annoying clunk with steering wheel reversal while moving.

Thank you for posting the troubleshooting guide.

I plan to take mine into the dealer to look at this next week.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huskynox
mmccurdy,

You described it perfectly. It's subtle, but annoying.

I know the dealer would have NO idea, that's just how they are.

I do notice it get noticably worse when it's hot which is strange to me :confused: Maybe the fluid in the steering box gets warm making the problem more noticable. I did see there is an adjustment on the top of the box, but I don't have a manual to see what the setting is....?

You are right though, I just wiggle the wheel and feel and hear a clunk, clunk, clunk.

Do you notice it gets worse when your Jeep is hot? I can barely notice it when I first start driving in the morning, but by the time I get to work its very noticable.

Husky~
I have the same clunking sound when I wiggle my steering wheel...and it comes and goes...I haven't taken it to the dealership cause I'm sure they won't hear it or have a way to fix it anyway...at least now I know I'm not alone and just hearing things!

Quick Reply: Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column