Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Safari Top for $5

Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Safari Top for $5

Actually it should probably be listed as a convert-a-top, & it is almost too simple to post, but I thought I'd do it anyway.

I bought a pair of "lashing straps" at Harbor Freight for $4.99. You can get some black ones from Home Depot or Lowe's for a few buck more. Lashing straps have no hooks, just a long web. And the ones I got have the simple clamp, not a ratchet system.

The idea is to have a top to shade the sun, but get rid of the sail panels that flap in the breeze while driving.

Top side slips though the gussets in the frame

Bottom slips through the slots in the bed rail.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same thing but purchased black nylon riflestraps at wallworld. Keeps tension on the corner while the sail panel extension is tucked up out of sight. Great mod- REAL simple....
Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy
Actually it should probably be listed as a convert-a-top, & it is almost too simple to post, but I thought I'd do it anyway.

I bought a pair of "lashing straps" at Harbor Freight for $4.99. You can get some black ones from Home Depot or Lowe's for a few buck more. Lashing straps have no hooks, just a long web. And the ones I got have the simple clamp, not a ratchet system.

The idea is to have a top to shade the sun, but get rid of the sail panels that flap in the breeze while driving.

Top side slips though the gussets in the frame

Bottom slips through the slots in the bed rail.
Hey Craig thanks for stealing my idea and posting it as your own. J/K. Thats works out pretty good dosen't it. I haven't rolled my back window up like that but it works out great to keep the panels from flapping
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great mod, Craig . This has to rate up there with the drilled mirror mod as the best bang for the buck and so easy even I can do it. Yet to try it out but have a pair of cargo lash-down straps that have this written all over them. Will be great for keeping some of the sun off my passengers and I over the summer months.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

That's usin' your noggin!

Rock On
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

great idea! about how long are those straps?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by marlettx
great idea! about how long are those straps?
The straps that I use on mine are way too long. like 15 ft. I just take whats left and tuck it in the carpet. this works great
Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SFD1248Unlimited
The straps that I use on mine are way too long. like 15 ft. I just take whats left and tuck it in the carpet. this works great
If you trim them at a 45 degree angle with a pair of heavy scissors or a knife, you can then melt the end with a match or a lighter in order to keep them from fraying. As long as you don't get carried away with the heat, they will still thread through the buckles nicely.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice idea, something I'll have to keep in the back of my noggin for the summer when the soft top goes back on.

Cheers

JKDad
Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't see how they hold everything in place. Neeed coffeee. Can you take a picture from a different angle that shows how it keeps the panels rolled up? Thanks

Quick Reply: Safari Top for $5