Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.
View Poll Results: Who has replaced fan motor?
Killed a fan motor
21.51%
Have not killed one YET
78.49%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Fan motors, who has killed theirs?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fan motors, who has killed theirs?

Just wondering how many people have killed their fan motor playing in the water/mud?

I've killed 3, this is crazy. This weekend at Uwharrie 2 of them died, and we were in different groups. They only went a little fast thru one puddle.

Anyone have any idea's on how to make the fan motor water resistant? Besides a kill switch. I dont think a switch would help because once you turned switch back on the motor is still wet and poof.

Also anyone think these motors could be rebuilt cheaper then 100bucks?

Last edited by tkob1060; 03-04-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the same probably Saturday. We unhooked both connectors (top and the center of fan), let them dry out and hooked them back up. Nothing, then started tapping on the motor and the fan finally started turning. Hopefully it did not kill he motor. I am going to start trying to figure out a way to try to water proof it.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have killed 1 fan motor falling in a large mud pit. It was all it took, after that I wired in a disconnect switch (wired to the ground by the fan itself). If it's not running, then there is a greater chance of not ruining it in my book.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

anyone ever heard of Radiators US?

they have a "direct" replacement fan for 69bucks on ebay. They say they've been wholesale company since 82.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

ben and thebigclint both fried their fans while mudding a few months ago....
Ben had his replaced w/a fan from an 09 JK that is sealed and it hasn't been an issue since
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by maverick1701
ben and thebigclint both fried their fans while mudding a few months ago....
Ben had his replaced w/a fan from an 09 JK that is sealed and it hasn't been an issue since
Hey Maverick did they warranty his? That would be great to get one that is actually sealed, but I would still be worried about it going lol.

Think he has the part number?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Hey Maverick did they warranty his? That would be great to get one that is actually sealed, but I would still be worried about it going lol.

Think he has the part number?
I sent him an email so he should be here sometime today...if not, I would shoot ben a message on here... his usename is also "ben" lol

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/members/ben-12510/

I think it was under warranty, but dont quote me on that

Last edited by maverick1701; 11-11-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Ben
JK Freak

It was replaced under warranty. I killed it by falling into a deep hole that had the water about 2 inches below my intake and staying that way for about 3 minutes. Dealer said that they had had to replace alot of fans and that was one of the things the 09's had "fixed." The new fan design is supposedly sealed so water and mud, (mud is the real culprit,) doesn't get inside the fan. I will try to get you a part number tomorrow, but let me first say that I am somewhat skeptical because the new fan looks exactly like the old fan to me.

Maverick was right, I haven't had any problems since, but I haven't got into a good muddy spot since then either. (not scared, just haven't had the oppurtunity.)

Also dealer showed me a cool trick to cleaning mud out of the radiator. If you remove the little plastic "cap" that is over the radiator, you can hose from the top and blow out all the mud that gets between the condenser coils and radiator coils.

To me the radiator fan is the big achilles heel of the jk, although some people have no problem with it. I am definitely adding a cutoff switch to mine.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Ben did you see the motor itself? I know the 08 has holes in it where you can actually see the wire coiled inside. Mine of course was full of mud haha
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

steps up on the stage...grabs the mic...TAP TAP TAP...THIS WORKING??? .. sorry...guess so...ummm My name is SAS and I've broken my fan/motor in muddy water once.....

..watches the group

...ummm thanks..that is all....exits stage left

DISCLAIMER: Anyone with a write-up for installing a relay/switch, etc please PM me a url on how to do this

Quick Reply: Fan motors, who has killed theirs?