Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft top leaking

Old 04-13-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top leaking

Has anyone had this problem yet. The soft top on my 07 Sahara leaks during a moderate to heavy rain. It seems to be coming in directly above the door handle at the top of the door near the weather stripping. Passenger side has done it twice and the driver side once. I have had the top down a couple of times but the full doors have never been off. Now, the kicker in this is when I take it to the car wash I have no leaking. Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I heard you not suppose to run a soft top through the automatic car wash, anyone here if that is true or not?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris orlando
I heard you not suppose to run a soft top through the automatic car wash, anyone here if that is true or not?
I take mine to an"All Hand Wash" joint.

You have to avoid car washes that have the Dryer with the roller. It looks like it'll apply to much pressure while rolling over the soft top! I Don't want to chance it!

As for the Leak the OP mentioned... make sure you remove any seeping sealant on the inside door jams. Mine had a slight leak and once I removed the excess sealant, the issue stopped permanently.

If you feel/hear your doors sticking now, that may be the problem.

Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chris orlando
That was what I was told.....!!! Seems reasonible.. with the isenglass and all....
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah my top leaks, comes in from the front part of the top on the pass. side, I can see it drip down, it's like it rubber weather stripping on the door sticks up and out past the door frame up there and the water kind of rolls in.... my front floorboards get wet every rain. I can't find where my driver side is leaking, no evidence around the door at all, so it may be like from the windshield (which i've had replaced) or something?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

First let me apologize. I posted this in the wrong forum.

Yes, I did have a bunch of excess sealant and cleaned it off but it was no help. Also, I don't use the automatic car wash just the pressure sprayer and even then I don't get that close. I haven't tried using my garden hose to produce the same effect you. I going to take top completely loose and latch it down step by step in the book to see if I'm missing something. If that don't work I'll head to the dealer for help. Just hate going to a dealer for something that should be a simple fix.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default any news?

I have the same problem, seems to get worse if I open the doors during rainfall. I haven't noticed any excess sealant, and my install/removal procedures are as close to manual-spec as I can be (which isn't saying much because the manual is junk). Anybody get any kind of resolution on the problem?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same type of thing-- just like you said, never leaked when I washed it or anything, but the first rain (which was months after I bought the JK) sent a few random drops down the inside of the passenger side door. I literally drove right into the dealer while it was raining, pulled up to the service manager's office and said "hey, see that?".

It's great when you can just point and there's no "well, we couldn't duplicate that" BS. I don't know what they did, but they fixed it right away. I can try to find out what the issue was...
Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luke646
Has anyone had this problem yet. The soft top on my 07 Sahara leaks during a moderate to heavy rain. It seems to be coming in directly above the door handle at the top of the door near the weather stripping. Passenger side has done it twice and the driver side once. I have had the top down a couple of times but the full doors have never been off. Now, the kicker in this is when I take it to the car wash I have no leaking. Any suggestions?

Yes, there have been a few of us with the exact leak you speak of.

Mine stopped for a long time, but has recently resurfaced to an extent. and right after i had the top down for a few days...go figure.

try this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/leaky-jk-2-door-softtop-4791/#post46754
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

had the same leak. Only happened the day I bought it (was heavy rain and windy). Has not happened since so I have not taken it in to have looked at.

Quick Reply: Soft top leaking