Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Grille Mesh Insert - new method

Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grille Mesh Insert - new method

About 4 months ago, I bought a grille insert kit off of ebay. Someone took the idea of using gutter guards, plastic anchors, and zip ties (the same idea which is readily found here), and started selling it as a "grille insert kit". At first, I was very pleased with what I got, but that was before the anchors starting peeling loose from the inside of the grille. The directions that came with the kit said I might need to glue the anchors to the inside of my grille to ensure that they wouldn't peel off. The problem was the 3M tape that was on the anchor. The tape just wasn't strong enough to hold. After they all came apart, I decided I wanted to do something a little better with my grille than just glue gutter guards to it. After searching the forum, I found where a user named Brattwurzt had come up with a novel idea for his grille insert. View his thread here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...mplate&page=23

I liked his idea so much, I decided I would try his method too. After I got into it, I eventually made a few small changes. Thus, I thought it would probably be a good idea to do another write-up, in case anyone else would like to try this.

First, I ordered some stamped aluminum (20 gauge), with a repeating hexagonal honey-comb pattern. If you can find it thicker, I would recommend getting it that way, but it was very difficult to find. You can get it from an online vendor. Google mcnichols if you are interested (US/Canada/Mexico customers only). The aluminum came in a sheet 36" X 40". It cost $43 plus $11 shipping.

Once I had the aluminum, I went to the local hardware store and got the other supplies I would need. Those included two eight foot sticks of 1/16" C-channel to build a frame, as well as 3 packs of 1-1/2" flat corner braces (4 braces per pack), and a can of Dupli-Color bed liner spray. These totalled aproximately $36.

I bought a few other things as well as a precaution, but I wound up not needing them. Those listed above are all you will need to complete this mod.

To begin, the first thing I did was cut out a template. This was Brattwurzt's idea, and it helped tremendously.

If you follow these instructions, you will not need a template of your own. I used the template to develop my frame, but the version of the template I cut was too large:

Ultimately, I had to make revisions to the size of the frame. You can use the following plan to get the exact dimensions:

These dimensions will give you the best fit to the interior of your grille. If you will use these dimensions, no modifications will need to be made to the grille, or any of the other factory components. The insert will be completely removable should you ever decide to change to something else.

Once I had the template cut out, I began to assemble my frame:

Just for the sake of certainty, periodically check the frame for an accurate fit:

You will cut each vertical member 11-3/4" long. The horizontal member on top and bottom will be 28" wide. Use the flat corner braces to attach the vertical members to the horizontal members.

Check the fully assembled frame to ensure a proper fit:

Once everything has been drilled properly and assembled, cut the stamped aluminum to fit the frame, approximately 13" tall by 28.5" wide. Disassemble the frame, lay the mesh on top of the frame, and then reassemble:

Check the fit one more time:

Finally, sure up all the braces and trim the excess aluminum. The aluminum does not need to extend beyond the frame in any direction. If you want the unfinished metal look, then you are ready to put the insert in place. The grille will hold the insert against the forward frame of the vehicle. The insert will not contact the radiator:

If you are like me and want a black grille insert, now is the time to pull out the Dupli-color:

Although it looks grey in this photo, I am using black bed liner spray. The camera flash is reflecting in the gloss. I put several coats on the inside and out of the grille insert. It turned out better than I expected. Once the liner has dried, you are ready to install:

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know...

Last edited by davidmech21; 09-29-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job on this. One of the best i've seen so far.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

good work, that's def the proper way to go about it
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, but I can't take all of the credit. Many of my ideas came from this forum...
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great looking grille and a very informative write up!I will try this one !
Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Great write-up....Thanks for the info
Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks good I went with the plastic gutter mess zip tie blocks. To keep mine from coming off I used Gorilla glue. That stuff works awsome. It with stood the Louisiana heat this summer with NO problems
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent write up! Looks factory.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a great piece of work! No shortcuts, lots of careful thought. The finished product looks great.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice, very nice. Did you ever think about a small sideline business making/selling them? I'll be your first customer!!!

Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 12-11-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Grille Mesh Insert - new method