Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Killing ESP

Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killing ESP

It looks as if the ESP and Anti-lock brakes and a few of the other annoying stuff is on its own fuses. Does anybody know if it is as easy as pulling a few fuses to disable all the computer ESP. I don't want partial off I want it all off. I like to slide sideways around every curve and stop sign in the snow and it really makes me angry when the computer cuts my gas !! I want it dead.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

There's a post on here somewhere about it, i don't think its as easy as pulling a fuse ... I don't thing anybody figured out how to do it yet.
Sliding around in the snow/ice is alot of fun .. as long as your trying to slide ... lol.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I couldn't find any threads that didn't say to give esp a chance or some other such nonsense. If you want to drive straight all the time then it is a nice thing. I seldom do that and so it is really more of a annoyance to remember to turn the thing off every time I turn it on. And like everybody says (that only turns it off part way) I guess I will be the first one to start pulling fuses.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not as simple as pulling fuses.......too many systems inerconnected. I haven't tried it yet (waiting till warranty is over), but this seems like it might work:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=44728

If anybody tries this, I'd love to hear the results.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

The opposing lawyer will have a field day if you hit someone or cause damage to some property and the safety features have been purposely deactivated
In this litigation focused society we live in, is it worth it?

Furthermore, what happens if a little kid runs in front of you and your ABS has been turned off??? What if it was your child that ran in front of a vehicle that had been altered like this? What would you do?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you read down the thread it states that this MOD has no effect on the ABS system. It only effects the ESP/BAS.

While I agree you have a point with the legal implications I also feel that as the driver you should be allowed to controll every aspect of your vehicle.

This MOD looks easy enough and I doubt you would have any warantee issues unless for some reason they are digging around under your dash. I suppose it would show up if they pulled the codes but you could always reset the ECU before taking it in.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John L
The opposing lawyer will have a field day if you hit someone or cause damage to some property and the safety features have been purposely deactivated
In this litigation focused society we live in, is it worth it?

Furthermore, what happens if a little kid runs in front of you and your ABS has been turned off??? What if it was your child that ran in front of a vehicle that had been altered like this? What would you do?
Managed to drive for over 30 years without all the electronic gadgetry and I've not had so much as a moving violation, muchless an accident. For the trouble it causes I'll take my chances wih the legal system and modify mine so that it can be disabled when I chose.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Since when are you required to have abs on a vehical now..? Also, its a double standard, you can also argue that hey, you should have baught a lexus, they stop faster, and you woldnt have hit the kid if you would have stoped faster....

while i do think that in todays times you have to be carefull, i think that if you hit a kid or something your screwed no matter how you look at it pretty much
Old 05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default I live in michigan

I appreciate the input you all gave. But remember I live in Michigan. I live out in the woods far away from city,people, noise.

We did finally get rid of the snow which means that driving is not near as much fun. I will let everybody know what I find out. I will also try not to hit any kids that are in the road.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 PM
karl.keller@amcorpet.com

Exclamation

I believe that if one were to pull a few fuses or otherwise disable the system (like unplugging the wheel sensors) the ecm would then go into failsafe mode .
the ecm would shut down and not allow the vehicle to run, at wich time you would need to have the dealer reset the ecm as thier are not any aftermarket diagnostics available for the new system like there are for the odbII systems and the factory reader interface modules are running in excess of 3,000.00 dolly - ollers. also I am on my second 07 jk I didn't get 3 grand on the odometer before the thing would just die for no apperrant reason and would not restart until it was ready sometimes 20 minutes sometimes 2 days, the dealership worked on it and could not figure it out, so they brought in a D/C engineer, he couldn't figure it out it was deemed a lemon so I got to order just what I wanted from the factory and recieved it inside six weeks becouse the put a rush on it. soooo don't mess with the ecm I don't think it can handle much mis use, we all should wait until an aftermarket scan tool is available! but it is your dime!

Quick Reply: Killing ESP