Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

need help, storing doors on garage wall

Old 04-30-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, storing doors on garage wall

Does anyone know how much the doors weigh? I am trying to find a way to store the doors when they are off. I bought some large heavy duty padded storage hooks that mount into the wall studs of my garage, and they say they are rated to hold 75 pounds each. I won't be able to take my doors off for several days because of the rain, but am in the middle of remodeling my garage so I was hoping someone might know the answer. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

I heard hangin the doors by the frame, windows down hooked at top of door, might cause some problems down the road ... the weight of the door being held up like that. I'm thinking about getting some of that foam they put around pipes, cut it long ways, like a "C" and put that at the bottom of the door and leaning it against the wall. I have some of those hooks, i might us them to hold the door against the wall (in case it gets bumped it will not fall over).
If you do a "search" you'll find some info on this topic.
here's one https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=hanging+doors

Last edited by BJeepJK; 04-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BJeepJK
I heard hangin the doors by the frame, windows down hooked at top of door, might cause some problems down the road ... the weight of the door being held up like that. I'm thinking about getting some of that foam they put around pipes, cut it long ways, like a "C" and put that at the bottom of the door and leaning it against the wall. I have some of those hooks, i might us them to hold the door against the wall (in case it gets bumped it will not fall over).
If you do a "search" you'll find some info on this topic.
here's one https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=hanging+doors
Leaning the doors against the wall is worse then hanging them. I used to hand my TJ doors from the rafters in my garage until I had to much stuff and they started getting in the way. I noticed no considerable damage from this. I then starting leaning them against the wall of the garage, where they would stay from Memorial Day to Labor Day. After 2 summers of this I noticed that the doors ended up with a slight, about 1/8 in. or less bow in them. Not a huge deal, but enough to let a nice cold breeze in during the winter.

Now that I have a assortment of power tools (thanks to the wedding fairy and santa) I plan on building a rack that holds the doors as upright as possible without the lean. I'm thinking that leaning against the main body of the door(contacting below the window) might not be that bad. But then again it is a JK and the door is easy to dent.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use tool racks rated for 50 lbs.(the ones for rakes/shoves). They have grooves in the so the door won't slide off. I only had the doors off once. I didn't have any problem with them. It's going to be really nice after Wednesday & I'll be taking them off again. I'll take pictures if anyones interested.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Ya, you dont want to lean them way over. I want to lean mine just enough so they don't fall over then use the hooks to keep them from falling. Better yet maybe i'll make something. A metal post with like a 4' metal base and weld some metal pipe, same size as the hinge left on the body, 4 around the top and 4 on the bottom and hang the doors on that ... would be the same as leaving your door open all summer, right?
I'll call it a JK tree, now somebody throw some wheels, tires, exuast, lift, and some new bumpers under there and we got ourselves a party.
Well i'm off to the pantent office ... brb.

Last edited by BJeepJK; 04-30-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: need help, storing doors on garage wall