Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MOPAR Backup camera installed on Jeep mygig

Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOPAR Backup camera installed on Jeep mygig

Background- I wanted to install a backup camera on my 4dr JK, but was not interested in paying for a bunch of features I would not use with the lockpic(sp?) plus that thing is way pricey!

So I went to my dealership and ordered a backup camera for Jeep Commander. Installed it in my JK and then had the dealership flash the mygig with the Starscan tool to activate the camera system. Very easy to do. I have very little knowledge of electonics and had it all wired up in an hour. The most dificult part was running all the cables from the radio to the camera itself. It works great.

For the camera and the Starscan it was just over $200 with taxes. I can try to answer any questions if you have them. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where did you/the dealer mount the camera? I'm thinking about doing the tire mount mod.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

I mounted it in the rear bumper right above the trailer hitch.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Can you post pix of the camera and what it looks like on your screen in reverse (assuming you have no other way to turn the camera on othe than being in reverse)?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Here are the pics you asked for. Sorry for the quality, it's a cell phone. The mygig screen looks hazy because the top is off and it is sunny out. I hope this helps.
BTW-the camera only shows up on the screen when in reverse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rearbumpercamera.jpg
Views:	4919
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	20900   Click image for larger version

Name:	backupview.jpg
Views:	4658
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	20901  
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool! I dunno if that will work for me as I'm planning to replace my rear bumper with the MOPAR steel one but it looks very nice on yours. Good place for the Sahara owners.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I'm not sure how the MOPAR steel bumper is constructed, but I am sure there would be a way to mount this camera to it. It may just be a bit more tricky.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Interested in the under warer view...
Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JayhawkJK
Background- I wanted to install a backup camera on my 4dr JK, but was not interested in paying for a bunch of features I would not use with the lockpic(sp?) plus that thing is way pricey!

So I went to my dealership and ordered a backup camera for Jeep Commander. Installed it in my JK and then had the dealership flash the mygig with the Starscan tool to activate the camera system. Very easy to do. I have very little knowledge of electonics and had it all wired up in an hour. The most dificult part was running all the cables from the radio to the camera itself. It works great.

For the camera and the Starscan it was just over $200 with taxes. I can try to answer any questions if you have them. Good luck!

I did just about the same except I used a Crime Stopper reverse Camera and Mounted it in the top wheel opening of the spare, Then had the dealer add reverse camera to the Mygig. It works just in reverse as you said it has a great fish eye view, with the spare / wiper motor and antennas there’s not much window view left.
I have posted this before and lots of people replied that there dealer would not turn the camera on don’t know why it’s all money in there pockets.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

how much was just the Starscan?

Quick Reply: MOPAR Backup camera installed on Jeep mygig