Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Broken transfer case link

Old 07-20-2009, 07:22 PM
KDW
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine broke as well. Cheap plastic, I had an appointment to get fixed but another cheap $ 70 plastic part is not acceptable. I took the remnants of the plastic piece off the shaft, slid the cable back on, add a 3/4" flat washer to keep it from rolling off then popped on a Jesus clip (the retainer clip that shoot off when you take them off. Jesus! Where did that thing go!). Looks like a piston ring.

Much better than the factory junk.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took mine to the stealership today and they said there is an updated part that they are going to put on when it comes in later this week. I didnt know there was an update but Ill let you all know later this week. I think they are full of shit.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They apparently put an updated cable assembly on mine. I haven't crawled under there to see if I can tell a difference or not.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Mine went today, read about this failure and wanted to see if mine failed also.... IT DID.... gonna call Yeep tomorrow and have them send me a new cable,I'll install myself, don't trust anyone to touch my trucks

edit: this way I can eyeball both cables to see if there's any changes, I'll have camera ready to document
Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

i was able to order just the bushing at the dealership. the part number is 1-68064273AA, 35 cents.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Is yours out of warranty?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default Design Defect

3 months ago, the plastic clip mentioned in this thread broke on my Jeep. Luckily I was stuck in two wheel drive, and was able to get it home. Jeep replaced the entire cable.

3 days ago, the plastic clip on the other end of the new cable, attaching to the shifter broke. I could not get to this link with out removing the center console, a job I did not have the tools to work on the the trail. The transfer case was stuck in neutral, and I was basically screwed. After getting the vehicle close to the road, I had to call for a tow truck. Imagine that, a perfectly good vehicle disabled because of a 30cent piece of plastic.

I wrote Chrysler, to get reimbursed for the tow, and to inform them that this is a design defect that should be fixed with a recall! I believe the plastic chosen is not well suited for high temperature applications. I bet it is probably getting near 150 deg below the car in the desert. The clips are probably just softening, and falling off.

After I get jeep to fix it (again) I am going to add some wire ties such as mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

does anyone know of a recall for this? a tie wrap should not be the fix.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

There's no recall, but they're fixed under warranty.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a pic of where to put the ziptie?

Quick Reply: Broken transfer case link