Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Wheel Stud Replacement.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Stud Replacement.

I you didn't already know the process for replacing a broken wheel stud I hope these steps will help you out.
You will need a lug wrench, a small flat head screw driver, a pair on needle nose pliers, an 18mm wrench, a hammer, a jack, jack stand, a torque wrench, and replacement wheel stud.

You will need to break loose the wheel lug nuts then jack up the axle until the tire is off of the ground. I used a jack stand under the frame rail to help support the weight and give some stability.

Remove the wheel nuts and wheel. You will then need to remove the brake caliper. There are two 18mm bolts on the back of the caliper that need to be removed in order to get the caliper off of the rotor.

After removing the two 18mm bolts you can slip off the brake caliper.

After removing the caliper set it aside until it is time to replace it. You do not need to remove the brake line.
NOTE: Do not mash the brake pedal while the caliper is not in place. This will cause many more problems.

Next remove the rotor retainers. I reused them, but it is not necessary to keep them.

You can now pull off the rotor and set aside.

I used a hammer to beat out the old/broken wheel stud.

The old/broken wheel stud.

I then inserted the new wheel stud from the back and pulled it into place using a stack of large washers and a lug nut. Be sure to use washers that are big enough to go over the shank at the bottom of the wheel stud.

Pay attention to the back of the wheel stud, as you tighten the lug nut, so you can see when it is in place. When it is seated correctly your new wheel stud should look something like this.

To put it back together replace the rotor and retainers, if you wish, replace the brake caliper and securely tighten the 18mm bolts that hold it on, replace the wheel and torque the lug nuts to 95 ft lbs.

After getting it back together take it for a drive and upon returning recheck the torque on the lugs.

Last edited by Robar; 06-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good write-up with lots of great pictures !
Old 06-20-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Nice write up RoBar, thanks!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by planman
Thanks for the write-up. Good to know I don't need a press.
It took about three good hits with the hammer and two or three light taps, so I didn't jettison it into the emergency break, to remove the stud. It may be more professional to use a press of some sort to install the stud, but this worked fine for what I had in my garage.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default Been there... done that.

i had to do this a couple months back, because I snapped a lug stud off each rear wheel?! wasn't too bad of a job. The only differences i had where i used a dead blow sledge hammer (My Lug Studs were real Stubborn) and i used one of the older style open end acorn style lug nuts to pull the stud through. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing the capped end off my brand new lug nuts. Also, You don't have to worry so much about lining the teeth up on the stud to your hub. it will self correct itself.

Awesome write up! Pics are exactly what i remember seeing under there
Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

was looking to replace a stud but no one can seem to find the exact part.. anyone have the dimensions?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjcjk
was looking to replace a stud but no one can seem to find the exact part.. anyone have the dimensions?
This is the part number I believe..

68003287AA
Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

used this thread when i broke one taking my wheel spacers off.... great write up
Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Replacement part

I have been unable to find this part through any parts store. Anyone able to find this part?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallerdog
I have been unable to find this part through any parts store. Anyone able to find this part?
I called chrysler when I broke mine, tell them what year your rig is and all that, I think they was about 6 bucks or so a pop

Quick Reply: Wheel Stud Replacement.