Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Trailer Wiring Harness

Old 11-29-2006, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring Harness

Does anybody have any info on trailer wiring harness (no splice) ?

I ordered a factory 7 Pin harness from my dealer, but after getting it the instructions look to be for older model year. The locations of the connectors etc. to attach to are not where they should be(no luck locating them yet).

I took it back and had the parts guy verify the P/N again and he confirms that it is correct for the 2007 X. Delear tech's haven't done one yet (they have been splicing in behind the tail lense box)

Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be working through the same problem once I get my JK. I ordered it with a towing kit, so should have the wiring there already, but I still plan to splice into the wiring so I can hook up the taillights to a separate wiring harness that will run to the front of the jeep under the bumper. There, it will hook into a harness that runs across a tow bar to the back of my RV. Shouldn't be too hard to wire... I like challenges like that. And yes, I'll take lots of pics as I go, always do!

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazy4sip
Does anybody have any info on trailer wiring harness (no splice) ?

I ordered a factory 7 Pin harness from my dealer, but after getting it the instructions look to be for older model year. The locations of the connectors etc. to attach to are not where they should be(no luck locating them yet).

I took it back and had the parts guy verify the P/N again and he confirms that it is correct for the 2007 X. Delear tech's haven't done one yet (they have been splicing in behind the tail lense box)

Thanks
I have the harnes and mine was a plug in according to my distructions, I haven't gotten around to putting it in yet though. It says the plugs are right behind the left rear tailight.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

I see you can buy the 7-pin round connector trailer wire harness from jeep.. But it states that it must be dealer scanned to activate... How does that work???
Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just went to the dealer during lunch and they also state that the harness needs to be activated, they didn't know why. They told me yesterday that I could come in and order a 4 pin, yet today I go in and they say that only the 7 pin is available and it's twice as much. WTF?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm.. wasn't told about the scaaning to activate ?

jeepfreek13 let us know if you find that connector with your instructions, the intructions I have say and show the same thing, I took the lense bucket off and looked around inside, no sign of the connector to hook into though even went as far as removing the other side, carpet in the rear area etc. even spent some time under the Jeep on a creeper with no luck.

Hopefully its' the if it was a spider it would of bit ya, but I'll be darned if i can find it.

So far the time being I have a 79.00 dollar harness sitting on the floor of my office......
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I ordered one from Quadratech when I ordered my hitch last week. Four Pin, pass through harness, supposed to ship direct from the manufacturer the first week of december, $25. They didn't have it on the website, but the guy I talked to described it to me.

The hitch receiver came in Tuesday. There was a piece of slag keeping the receiver from mounting all the way, and I would have had to take the bumper off to get in there with an angle grinder, but I managed to grind it down with a chainsaw sharpener bit on a dremel. It cost me two used beyond useful $3 dremel bits, but it was easier than taking the bumper off. And the receiver looks great. I need to get another bar with a four inch drop for my small utility trailer. The straight bar from my wife's Tucson makes it quite an angle.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

jeepfreek13 let us know if you find that connector with your instructions, the intructions I have say and show the same thing, I took the lense bucket off and looked around inside, no sign of the connector to hook into though even went as far as removing the other side, carpet in the rear area etc. even spent some time under the Jeep on a creeper with no luck.

Hopefully its' the if it was a spider it would of bit ya, but I'll be darned if i can find it.

So far the time being I have a 79.00 dollar harness sitting on the floor of my office......
Where was it saying you needed to have it scanned? the part # on mine is 1-82210214. it is the 7 pin. if you pull the left rear light out...it plugs into the harness. at this junction is where you plug in the end where the additional flasher module is also located.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take the two inside screws (as in top and bottom, closest to the gate) out of the light assembly and the entire thing comes off the body. The plug is right there. Use a small flate blade screwdriver and press the clip in and pull apart. The entire light unit should then be disconnected from the vehicle. I'm assuming this is the connector as it looks similar to other harness connectors I have used.

I spoke with Quadratech yesterday and they said that they didn't know when the 4 pin harness would be available. I try tomorrow to see if I can place a pre-order.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats what I also found. did yours have anything about neeeding to be scanned? mine did not

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring Harness