Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Best offroad GPS?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best offroad GPS?

I've been looking at GPS's for a while now and since theres so many out there I'm having a hard time choosing one. What is everyone else using that works good offroad,has good maps,expandable memory,etc.

One model I have been looking at is the delorme pn-60w with spot locator. They look reasonably priced too.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 01:36 PM
cfr
JK Freak

I have the Lowrance XOG (discontinued). If I could do it over again, I'd get the Garmin Nuvi 550t.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bump!

Garmin has a new Montana model out which looks to be the best of both worlds(on road/off road). Any thoughts? Or other suggestions?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

The delorme is pretty nice,, has the ability for SPOT if you want, plus the option to navigate satellite imagery is nice also. Another option for something rugged is the garmin 60csx. Downsidemto the garmin is that the delorme comes with topographic maps and the garmin just comes with base maps.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nortski3
The delorme is pretty nice,, has the ability for SPOT if you want, plus the option to navigate satellite imagery is nice also. Another option for something rugged is the garmin 60csx. Downsidemto the garmin is that the delorme comes with topographic maps and the garmin just comes with base maps.
The Garmin Montana has a satellite imagery option. There's 3 models,the 600,650,650t which has the topo map included but you can download the topo map or add as an sd card to the 600&650. I'd probably get the 600 cause the 650&650t have a camera which I don't really need.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jboth
I've been looking at GPS's for a while now and since theres so many out there I'm having a hard time choosing one. What is everyone else using that works good offroad,has good maps,expandable memory,etc.

One model I have been looking at is the delorme pn-60w with spot locator. They look reasonably priced too.

Thanks
I have the pn-60w and love it for hiking/backpacking. I do use the SPOT for uploading a quick note to Facebook and always nice to know if I break my leg I got help just a button push away. But for off-roading the screen is a little small for just quick glance information.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

I just ordered the delorme with spot. Cabelas.ca has em on for 100 off. Just arrived today so ill get to play with it whn i get home..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

I don't know about it being the "best", but I find myself using my 3G iPad 1 almost exclusively these days. I can download the USGS 7.5 topos for free off the USGS website and view them with the free Avenza PDFmaps app.

The iPad has a big, reasonably sunlight-viewable touchscreen which I mount on a heavy-duty RAM mount with a quick disconnect.

The software is a little awkward to use, but I always know exactly where I am and where I'm going - and that's what really matters anyway.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grisha
I don't know about it being the "best", but I find myself using my 3G iPad 1 almost exclusively these days. I can download the USGS 7.5 topos for free off the USGS website and view them with the free Avenza PDFmaps app.

The iPad has a big, reasonably sunlight-viewable touchscreen which I mount on a heavy-duty RAM mount with a quick disconnect.

The software is a little awkward to use, but I always know exactly where I am and where I'm going - and that's what really matters anyway.
Is it possible to use an ipad with a bluetooth gps when you don't have 3g?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chisler

Is it possible to use an ipad with a bluetooth gps when you don't have 3g?
Yep, I bought a ipad2 with wifi only and use an external bluetooth gps made by dual electronics. It works great and they even have a free app for the gps. It works really well so far. I'm trying out a few different topo and street apps right now to see which I like better. The screen really is awesome for navigation.

Quick Reply: Best offroad GPS?