Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.
View Poll Results: Do you have a CCW?
Yes
77.62%
no
9.32%
cant get one in the state I live in
9.56%
im too young but will get one when im of age
3.50%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have your CCW?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have your CCW?

Post up why or why not

I had a gun pulled on me once, and couldn't do a thing about it.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had mine for over 20 years.

In all of those years, I have only had to pull my gun on one occasion.

I had a knife pulled on me at a gas station probably 15 years ago late at night....never did get to the point that I truly found out whether he was attempting to just rob me, or steal my car....I was carrying, and politely showed him that I had more lethal firepower with better range than his knife, and politely asked him to drop his knife.

He saw the error of his ways, dropped the knife, and then even kissed the pavement when I asked him to. The cops showed up maybe 10 minutes later, and was more than happy to arrest him.

Never did have to go to court, he pleaded it out.

Had I not been carrying....well I am not sure how things would have turned out. He could have simply taken my wallet and left. He may have taken the car an left. Either of those could have been replaced, or the loss negligible.
But worse could have happened, and I am glad I was able to carry legally. With as long as it took the cops to get there....
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Area-51

I had a knife pulled on me at a gas station probably 15 years ago late at night....never did get to the point that I truly found out whether he was attempting to just rob me, or steal my car....I was carrying, and politely showed him that I had more lethal firepower with better range than his knife, and politely asked him to drop his knife.

He saw the error of his ways, dropped the knife, and then even kissed the pavement when I asked him to. The cops showed up maybe 10 minutes later, and was more than happy to arrest him.

Had I not been carrying....well I am not sure how things would have turned out. He could have simply taken my wallet and left. He may have taken the car an left. Either of those could have been replaced, or the loss negligible.
But worse could have happened, and I am glad I was able to carry legally. With as long as it took the cops to get there....
If you would have told the cops that you just killed a guy that pulled a knife on you.........they would have gotten there in a hurry......lol. Glad it worked out for you....
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Don't need one.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can be a sheep, a wolf, or a Sheppard, you choose.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Area-51

In a state where guns are legal, I'm surprised he tried that (perhaps a Darwin award contender)! I read book about legalizing guns (vs. outlawing them, etc...), and if I recall violent crime was much lower across the board, in all places that legalized them (one speculation was that if criminals thought everyone were carrying - they'd be more reluctant to commit a crime - sort of a criminal vs. good citizen Cold war).

That said, when I lived in NH, most folks I knew interested in carrying a concealed weapon, did so only for a short while, then it became more of a burden, and stopped doing so.

Last edited by nytennisaddict; 03-19-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
In a state where guns are legal, I'm surprised he tried that (perhaps a Darwin award contender)! I read book about legalizing guns (vs. outlawing them, etc...), and if I recall violent crime was much lower across the board, in all places that legalized them (one speculation was that if criminals thought everyone were carrying - they'd be more reluctant to commit a crime - sort of a criminal vs. good citizen Cold war).

That said, when I lived in NH, most folks I knew interested in carrying a concealed weapon, did so only for a short while, then it became more of a burden, and stopped doing so.
Iowa is not a "must issue" state, the determination is left up to the Sheriff of the county you reside in. Which can, and does result in some counties issuing permits to anyone who meets qualifications, and the next county over denying many, if not most permits.

I happen to live in a county where we have always had a Sheriff with a high regard for the 2nd amendment, and as long as you met the qualifications (which at the time I got mine required a multi-day training on concealed carry, range qualification and the standard background check) you were issued a permit.

Back when this happened, the county this occurred in had a Sheriff with pretty much a 180 degree opinion on the issuance of CCWs....he felt that pretty much no one outside of law enforcement needed to carry them, and as a result, most private citizens applying for a CCW in that county were turned down.

So I suspect the guy who pulled the knife on me assumed I would not be armed. Just sucked for him I lived in another county, and just worked in that one.

Things have gotten better in the issuance of permits in most counties, but the last I had read, there were still 2 counties that either were pretty much a no issuance county, or damn near impossible to get one.

Last edited by Area-51; 03-19-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got mine while I lived in Florida. I think that is probably the easiest state to get it in. I didn't even have to take a course since I am active duty, just needed to provide a copy of my weapons training. I got mine for when I travel. Sometimes I carry local. Unfortunately when I go up to New York I cannot carry my pistol with me. If my destination was outside of New York I could travel through the state with it. Crazy gun rules...
Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by toymaster
You can be a sheep, a wolf, or a Sheppard, you choose.
What's that supposed to mean? That's not even related to the question.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Had everything to do...

Originally Posted by Robar
What's that supposed to mean? That's not even related to the question.
I understood it. It had everything to do with the question.

Quick Reply: Do you have your CCW?