Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Mount for a rifle in my Jeep, Any ideas?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang man, 400 bones. I'll just do what I've always done if that's the going rate.

Almost buy another rifle entirely for that.

Shit i could take a jigsaw to some plywood, a couple u bolts and a little bit of barley pops and be out the door for twenty dollars. Granted, if something reasonable is introduced at a reasonable price I'm willing to buy. Up to 150 maybe, is about pushing it past that reasonable line.

Great suggestion, hopefully that is not the option. Made it just fine the last 20 years without one at all, but still always looking for an excuse to add something to the JK.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I saw that price I was hoping you guys would drop $400 without sneezing! I can tell you right now my unit will not be $400 based on my preliminary numbers. Also my unit will not be very concealed either. It is very hard to hide a 40 inch long gun in a 48 inch wide cabin. My unit will, however not take up your leg or cargo space like that one does. The pics look like the back seat is out.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm personally not worried about them being concealed. Out in the hills it's not too out of place, especially in season.

I don't have the rear seat in my rig anyhow, that's where dead stuff goes.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

The drawings are done and I will be getting the pricing for the prototypes today. Still working on the locking design. I am leaning towards a removable cable type. I am hearing a lot of people saying they want the lock to be an option. There is no need to lock while you are in simple transport and who wants to grab a key or put in a combination every time you spot a coyote on the farm. Let me know what you guys think about the lock.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

I recently bought this:

Overhead Gun Rack - Videos for Jeep models 2007 and newer

It is something that I don't leave in the JK, as I don't love the mount sitting next to my head all the time. However, if I need to carry a long gun, it keeps it safely out of the way without damaging the gun. I have not used it a lot, but I have tested it for fit. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

That was one of the disappointments that made me build mine. If you have an accident with that thing in there your gone will become whipping sticks! My racks will carry the guns flat and high nestled in a 1/16 inch steel cradle secured by a positive locking strap on each end of the rest. My goal is if you roll your Jeep your guns will be bolted to the roll bar what you crawl out.

I also do not like the fact that you are hanging two guns off of the plastic sound bar. Just for giggles remove those 6 10mm bolts and see just how heavy the sound bar is. If the whole assembly is three pounds I would be super surprised.

Last edited by JKGunracks; 03-06-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

I also want to add that I am not trying to insult your purchase. You just chose what was available at the time. My Jeep is destined to be a daily driver weekend punder and hunt truck so I want a strong and secure platform for my guns. Jump shooting snows can get a little crazy and I don't want the ole shotgun bouncing around the back of the vehicle. So me being who I am just decided to build a better mouse trap!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Replying to save this so I can see what JKGunracks comes up with.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

The prototypes will be done in a week or so!! I'm excited to see what you guys think when I get the first run done.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

I've been trying to solve the problem of where to put a hunting rifle (or 2) when heading out as well. As with some of the other posters, i'm not too concerned with it being concealed. Now how quickly I can get it down and get sights on an elk, that's another story ...

Quick Reply: Mount for a rifle in my Jeep, Any ideas?