Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

What Pistol do you carry daily?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have learned a few things from this thread.... Jeep guys are often gun guys. You guys have some pretty good taste in guns. All this thread has done is make me want more guns. It hasn't narrowed anything down. Looks like lots of sig and 1911 love, anyone think the steel frame is too heavy for everyday carry? I guess not considering how many of you guys are packing steel frames.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry a glock 23 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. I have also carried a Gov. model 1911in a Galco summer comfort. But Imho the crossbreed holster is way more comfortable than any other IWB holster I've worn.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Glock 21.

But I'd also like something more easily concealed.

...Oh wait, I forgot I now live in New Jersey. I don't carry a gun. I don't even own a gun. I don't know any gun toting nuts either. Hell, I don't even know what a gun looks like...

Let us know what you pick! I forgot to look at your location, but if you're here in NJ, you know that you can only buy one handgun a month now, right? Of course after you buy a purchase permit.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everyday.

Very nice.

Good to see someone use that EB for what it was designed to do.

Jason
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I have learned a few things from this thread.... Jeep guys are often gun guys. You guys have some pretty good taste in guns. All this thread has done is make me want more guns. It hasn't narrowed anything down. Looks like lots of sig and 1911 love, anyone think the steel frame is too heavy for everyday carry? I guess not considering how many of you guys are packing steel frames.
You can always go with an alloy frame gun. That is if you do not carry a plastic frame gun and the steel is too heavy for you. Alloy is lighter than the steel but, the plastic is lighter than the alloy.

I personally like the polymer guns (Glock) for personal carry. The lighter weight is one of the reasons.

There's pros & cons with all this stuff so, you have to just do all the math & see what YOU are most comfortable with.

Not only "comfortable", but along with that, what are you good with "tatically" & "accurately".

All 3 of these are VERY IMPORTANT, when making your overall decision!!!

Remember....."Guns are not suppose to be comfortable, they're suppose to be comforting!!!"

Last edited by JKWillie; 08-17-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most important is a good belt. 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 wide and 1/4 inch thick, 2 ply leather. Whatever the loops on your pants will allow. Skinny 1" dress belts to not hold the gun to your body. Second is carry IWB The Milt Sparks is suede on the outside and slick on the inside. The suede outside will cling to your shirt and pants further stabilizing the gun.

Jeeps and guns go together because the outdoors type of person, male and female alike, frequently have need of both.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi

I was really leaning toward a USP compact, but now I am leaning more toward a Sig or even a 1911. I am def. going to spend some cash on a good holster.

I have seen some guys carry in the wasteband of their pants, but on their hip. That does not seem like it would feel very good? What position are you guys carrying your pistols in? I have a holster for my G21 that is like a sleeve that hangs it inside the back of my pants, and I have a cheap shoulder rig. I will be buying a quality holster (and aparantly belt) for this gun.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

I was really leaning toward a USP compact, but now I am leaning more toward a Sig or even a 1911. I am def. going to spend some cash on a good holster.

I have seen some guys carry in the wasteband of their pants, but on their hip. That does not seem like it would feel very good? What position are you guys carrying your pistols in? I have a holster for my G21 that is like a sleeve that hangs it inside the back of my pants, and I have a cheap shoulder rig. I will be buying a quality holster (and aparantly belt) for this gun.
Your wear on your strong side. The belt is the exact size fit so the holster stays where you put it. I wear this model just in front of my right rear pocket. Wear an inch or 2 larger waist band pants. Outside the waist is more comfortable but we are talking the ultimate conceal. I do have a crossdraw western holster for when I ride a horse or ATV with my S&W 686 but that is a different topic.

The design of the holster levers the gun handle into your side (not uncomfortable). Really with only a shirt out someone looking at you can not tell you are carrying. I carried a double stack .40 cal for years. The 1911 single stack has an extremely thin handle and works well with this design.

The 1911 is America's favorite pistol for a reason. John Browning was a genius. period. I love and appreciate a lot of guns but I have a "special" love for my single action auto piece of art.

Your looking at $260 for holster and belt.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I carry a Glock 27 (.40 ca.). Its a compact model and conceals well with shirt untucked with a form-fitting leather side holster made specifically fo that model.

If I cannot conceal comfortable (tshirt and shorts) I will carry a Kel-Tec P32. If has a clip and I simply put it in the waistband and use clip on the pants.

I like th eGlocks because they are hammerless and won't snag on my arm or anything external. It also has an internal safety so if the time comes that I have to use it, there is no worries in my head about whether the safety is on or off.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

I like my charter arms pug in .44 cal special.

Quick Reply: What Pistol do you carry daily?